Early digital recordings on vinyl vs. CD?

There are many late 70's and early 80's classical recordings that were recorded digitally and released on vinyl, and then subsequently on CD when the technology became available.
Is there any reason to avoid digital vinyl given that these were early digital recordings?
To put it another way, for these early digital recordings, is there any advantage to getting them on vinyl as opposed to sticking to CDs?

In collecting vinyl I have stuck to analogue recordings and avoided digital, but this means I have avoided some outstanding performances.

What are your experiences, and what do you think?
toronto416
+1 to Phasecorrect's and Arh's posts. Outstanding stuff and often available for peanuts.
You will find a Fangroup for everything :-)

... reading Neil Youngs Authorized Biography written by Jimmy McDonough (it's 738 pages)...

At one point Neil talks to JM about Digital versus Analog .... here is the exerpt:

JM: How did digital get over if it sucks so bad?
NY: Promotion. Nobody realized digital wasn't as good-because it wasn't an obvious problem. It was more obvious after you listended a while. The first time, "Hey - no hiss, wow great!" You didn't realize there was no sound until a little while later.

JM: I notice I can't listen to as much music on CD.
NY: Right. It hurts. Did you ever go in a shower and turn it on and have it come out tiny little ice cubes? Thats the difference between CD's and the real thing - water and ice. It's like gettin' hit with somethin' instead of havin' it flow over ya. It's almost taking music and making a weapon out of it - do physical damage to people without touching them. If you wanted to make a weapon that would destroy people, digital can do it OK?
I found a digitally recorded jazz LP on my shelf from 1988 on the Canadian Sackville label. Jim Galloway, Ralph Sutton, Milt Hinton & Gus Johnson playing 'A Tribute to Louis Armstrong'. It is a real gem musically, and sounds wonderful. I am encouraged by this!

I look forward to delving into baroque recordings from the early 80's. This is going to be fun!

I have put together what I think is an excellent system: Nottingham Space 294 TT, Transfiguration Phoenix cart, Luxman 509u integrated amp, and Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. Many thanks to John at My Kind of Music in Toronto, and to excellent advice from Audiogon as well.

I also have a Luxman D-06 cdp, but I have not used it much since my TT arrived in March. CDs have their place as so much became available on them in the post vinyl era, but it is wonderful to delve into that which did originally come out on vinyl.

And almost as important as a TT is my Keith Monks RCM. It makes 40 or 50 year old lps in decaying paper sleeves sound better than new, and removes the deep seated gunk - the effort is worth it, even with new vinyl.

We must all be crazy to put ourselves through all this fuss - but how does it differ from obsessing over gourmet food and fine wines? Well, good food and wine taste even better when vinyl is spinning...
Fangroups everywhere, true enough. Believe it or not, some people are even fans of Neil Young! :-D

As I suspected, he was talking about CDs, which doesn't address the OP's question. I wonder... did Neil what'shisname ever hear a Telarc or l'Oiseau Lyre LP record?

+1 on the Keith Monks. I use a "cheap" knockoff, the Loricraft, and yes... we're all crazy.
The early Soundstream digital recordings are primarily what is available...this technology dates from the mid 70s or earlier...with 16/50 resolution downconverted to 16/44...they even had superior sampling back then...ha