The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
JTR 215's are the BEST...AT ANY PRICE, that I have ever heard. Just wait until you hear these speakers!...
Just back from Audio Connections where I got to hear Vandy's, Pro Acs, Maggies and B&W.....not even close. Vandy's just clobber the others as they are coherent and give you exactly what the electronics are giving them. They are just musical. I will take them all day long over higher priced Legacy models. I do like the Aeris's, but they have too much bass. It's not coherent or real. Too much of a bass boost that gives them an even 'fuller' sound. Most speaker companies will take that route, especially smaller ones in order to sound fuller. I can't listen to Focal's anymore either and I used to love them (I owned a few pair). I also own a small pair of Paradigm and don't find them in the same league either. Vandy with Ayre and AR on Vinyl was some of the best sounds I"ve heard in years.
Strange nobody is mentioning the Montana Eps2. Ive had speakers costing many times more than EPS2 and with more spectaluar tweeters, midrange and all that...But, the EPS2 blows them all away in many ways, especially the ability to make you forget about the speakers Itself, and listen to the truly stunning and highly realistic Music it will portray, in a Realistic size..not dwarf like Diana Krall or 3 meters high Krall, but realistic human size..and it does this with all instruments..It is not necessarily the more costier equipment which is the"best"..But a good amp with high power reserves should benefit all speakers and bring out their full potential, and many people dont..not all drive their speakers with the same high end equipment on the amp or cd side..everything must match.
I have owned Magnepan 3.7, SF Amati, Tad, Sashas, Tidal, Thiel 7.2, Vandersteen 5a and much more, but will not let go of the Montana in the nearest future... If you buy these, have patience...they have a LONG break in period before they reveal its magic :)
I've never even seen a pair in person. I've only seen pics in magazines. Have you ever heard the new Vandy CT line? When I said best I've heard, I should have noted that. I like how you describe the Montana's though as to me, if you hear the speaker or listen 'critically' for more than a song or two, then to me, it's not a speaker I can live with. Honestly, most of the special tweeters I've heard do not mesh well with the rest of the speaker. All too often the highs are tipped a bit and too fast for the mids and way too fast for the bass. Musical is something that is lacking in many speakers these days. They work so hard to get the detail, that they forget the natural sound you hear at a live event. Detail is of course a major player, but I rarely hear a system that can play piano properly or even cymbals. Basic percussion is often left lagging behind also. JMHO....I'd love to check out the montana's sometime if I see them. Thanks.