Grado reference platnum or Grado statement platnum

I am thinking of getting a better cartridge for my Denon DP-62 turntable. What is the difference between these two models? Some sites say one is a MC, the other is a MM. My local HiFi store said one has a lower output than the other. The specs I have found at the needle doctor show the output is the same.

I plan to buy the cartridge from my local dealer, but I'd like a second opinion.

Two things I like about the Grado Platnum:
1) It's in my price range $350.00
1) It's made in the USA

My local dealer said the higher output model (whichever that is) would be better for my turntable. The Denon DP62 is direct drive, but seems pretty quiet.

Give me you thoughts.
kleppermaster
All Grado's are mm. The ones you are interested in come in both 5mv or .5mv. I would not take a chance on the .5 mv ones,they might not have enough voltage to drive your preamp. I have the vpi model which has 1.5 mv output. I think you should go for the Platnum 5mv. By the way I am a long time Grado fan just love their sound. Check out the Grado site for more information or give them a call they are very helpful.
Yogiboy,

Thanks for the info!

VPI Turntables look pretty HOT! However, they are a bit out of my price range. The Denon DP-62 does a pretty fair job with my cobbled together system:

Preamp: Audio Refinement Pre-II pro
Power Amp: 2 each McIntosh MC-60
CD player: Magnavox CDB-610
Open reel: Teac X-10R
Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-90
TT Preamp: Nad
Speakers: ESS amt-1a

Before I get the new Grado Cartridge I plan to buy a VPI HW-16.5 record cleaner.

Thanks again!
the low output version requires a fairly specialized phono preamp. MM inputs don't have enough gain, but many mc inputs - e.g., using transformers - won't work or won't provide adequate 47K loading. You'd probably be better off with the high output version.