Rega RP3 or Pro-ject Expression III?

I'm looking to get into vinyl, and I think I've narrowed my turntable choices down to the Rega RP3 and Pro-ject Expression III. My assumption is that they're going to be pretty similar, but I'm wondering if maybe one has a better reputation over the other, or if one brand is known for better build quality than the other, etc.

I'll mostly be listening to garage sale records, but would also like to get some of the newer audiophile quality Jazz reissues available.

Thanks for any advice.

--Alex
rischa
I use stock, out of the box RP3 with no type of modification what so ever. After 20 years of trial and error, I've learned to put the money where it matters the most. Just be careful how you spend your money, trust your ears, and keep in mind that it is in the cartridge where it all begins. You just need a TT that can dissipate as much resonance as possible. Less external vibration equals better music reproduction. Music retrieval is proportionate to the quality of the cartridge.

I did read the current issue of the Hi-Fi critic, great review overall. My job is not to convince you otherwise nor to take any credits away from the RP6. It is indeed a TT that I would own in a heart beat. I have not auditioned a Clearaudio Concept but I owned a Champion Level I. As good as the Champion was, I would go with an RP6 without hesitation. Another huge factor, the Elys and Exact are worlds apart. Would you rather own a DV 10x5 or a DV 20x2? You will definitely retrieve more information with the Exact cartridge, no doubt about it.

Here are my two cents; same plinth, same arm, same sub-platter, same motor, same double brace technology, slightly different glass platter that weights almost the same, different feet that may or may not make a difference depending on your isolation platform, both with TT-PSU sound very, very similar........ to my ears. Just saying that perhaps saving $200.00 and spending this money on a better cartridge may be worth trying.
Hey Dubrin,
Music Direct is now selling B-stock Rega P7 for $1,795.00! That is $900.00 off the original price. Pretty cool if you ask me. State of the art ceramic platter, much improved RBI 700 arm, P9 feet, TT-PSU, all in all, a great bargain.
You may want to consider this TT before you decide between the RP6 and the Clearaudio Concept.
Jose
The Rega RP3 is an excellent choice in its price range. I just purchased the RP6. It replaced a older modded Rega P25. While the P25 was and still is a very good 'table, the RP6 takes its performance to a whole new level. Inner detail of the mids were amazing and the noise levels that can plague anolog have gone to almost CD quiet levels. For the first time I now feel my turntable exceeds my CD player in just about all sonic catagories. I am using a Soundsmith SMMC2 cartridge. It's the best cartridge I have used to date having cartridges from Sumiko, Dynavector, Clearaudio etc. I use the RP6 pretty much stock, using only a carbon fiber platter mat and clamp. Just for anyones info, the older Iron age acrylic platter will not properly fit the new RP6. It sits to high on the hub. The older Expressimo Heavy Weight counter weight will not work either, as the hole in it is just a touch to small for the rear tonearm stub although I would imagine there are some of these tweaks out there that will work with the new Regas.
So has anyone tried the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 with the RP3 instead of Rega's TTPSU? A poster here tried the Cruise Control 2.0 with a Rega 3-24 and really liked it. The 3-24 and the RP3 have the same motor, correct? TIA