What is the best Reel To Reel machine ever built?

Everyone who has listened to master tapes or dubs knows about the well balanced sound they provide. But it is also important to have a fine tape recorder or playing machine to enjoy the tapes' qualities in a good system.
Maybe my question was raised once before but the relevance of the topic is now greater as the tapes are back to more and more audiophile friends, especially those who are owning excellent phono chains.

I have seen many big & professional machines being recently offered and sold on e-bay, Audiogon and other platforms and I am discussing within a small group which machine is really the "holy grail" among the R2Rs. So why not here. I am interested in findings.
thuchan
I don't think Crown was into audiophile level quality. I repped them from 1980 to 1990 or so. The family was into missionary work, and Crown recorders were designed to be simple, repairable and operable in difficult environments. They used to set up broadcast facilities all over the world (and also built transmitters they sold mostly direct).

Brad

I don't think it is difficult to get into the Tape Business again. You are able to buy excellent master dubs on the market (e.g. Tape Project). If you have some friends sharing this specific adventure you might  be able to make copies for your personal use and also exchange ideas about new sources (search under The Audio Archive).

Don't start with a feeling of limitation, regard it as an exclusive window in your audiophile chain. Whenever you are listening to well recorded tapes you migh agree that this is setting the standard in your system. Also for comparing to vinyl or certain cartrigdes. And don't forget the haptic feeling when you are operating a tape machine. We could ask Mike, Albert or Sam if they stay cool when being in contact with their R2Rs...

best @ fun only
Transaudio is correct; the Crown was originally designed to be able to survive a fall off of a donkey. For real.

The weakness in them is the electronics. Seems to me there was an original version that was tube, but I have never seen one... anyway, the transistor units have a lot of the failings that transistors often have IMO. I may still have some LPs that Robert Fulton (founder of the modern high end cable industry) recorded using his 'modified' Crown; those recordings are excellent, although musically they are typical audiophile, which is to say ABYSMAL :)

There has been speculation locally about whether or not Fulton really did modify his machines. After he died (rather suddenly) a friend of mine obtained one of them from his estate and it was entirely stock!

So other than my comment about transistor vs tubes... perhaps my comments about the electronics might be taken with a grain of salt (although if you find one cheap I would not turn it down, and also I would expect to replace every electrolytic capacitor in sight in the electronics). I've usually stayed away from them mostly because they seem more consumer than pro to me (same for the Revox...)

Eckart,

It's tough to remain cool around so much HOT gear ;-)
Certainly, central A/C plays a vital role in keeping me stable, haha.

Vbr,

Sam
 Sam, I just saw this funny dialog. You may like it...

Hello everyone
I just bought an A820 and i try to figure out how calibrate it us i am new in tape.
Does auto alignement means that i don't have to use MRL?
Can anybody discribe me the alignement procedure?
I've downloaded the manual but i don't want to make something that will hurt the machine.

Thanks in advance
Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 am

------------------
yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh..........

everything you're saying is all wrong. i think you may have already damaged this machine. you'll need to crate it up and have it shipped to me right away. i'll have a look and see what i can do. it will take some years, though. 

man, you're lucky i saw this.
Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 am
-------------------
That is so kind of you but it only solves half of my problems as i have two of them
Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 am

best @ fun only