Grounded Power Cord for Turntable - why not??

None of my turntables use a grounded power cord, and none of them use a quality power cord. I am planning on changing the power cord on my JVC TT101 and was thinking of grounding it but am rather hesitant due to the above observation.

The reason I want to change the lamp-cord to a shielded, high quality cord is to both give the TT cleaner power and to prevent emi from leaking out of the cord into the myriad of signal carriers that surround it.

What say ye?
aigenga
The reason I want to change the lamp-cord to a shielded, high quality cord is to both give the TT cleaner power and to prevent emi from leaking out of the cord into the myriad of signal carriers that surround it.

What you describe above would not ground your TT. It would shield the PC...

In this case the shield of the PC would connect to the AC plug ground pin only. On the other end of the PC tape it off. TT end just floats....

Grounding the TT would mean connecting the chassis of the TT to the safety equipment ground of the wall receptacle. This could cause an unwanted ground loop hum.
Just be carefull not to use too heavy a Guage Cord for replacing the lamp cord..The stock lamp cord is usually 18 gauge and going from that to a heavy 12 guage wire may not give you better results..I found the heavier guage wire tends to mute and or Darken the sound considerably..If you feel then need to upgrade the stock cord I would consider going the Vh Audio route and build your own or at least check with Chris at Vh Audio for the right gauge cord to consider.....
I understand the concern on creating a ground loop and in fact I have floated the ground on my other sources; but I never thought to float it at the device side. I will now go through my PC's and see if the shielding is grounded and float the iec end. Thanks for that idea.

For the TT PC, I will be hard wiring it as that is how it is now. I intend to use a light (14 - 18 gauge) cord and now I know that I will follow that same floating technique. Cool.