Why use a super accurate cartridge protractor

In discussions about cartridge setup, there are those who say that unless one has a cartridge setup protractor like the Mint, Wally Tractor, Dennesen, etc. one cannot expect to extract maximum performance from your rig. Then there are those that say that even the best alignment tool still only nets you a position that needs further tweaking by ear. In my case, I've used a Dennesen and a number of downloadable free protractors and have been able to get good results with the free downloads if I took my time to make those little .5mm shifts that make sound pop into best focus. Is the superiority of a Mint or a Wally Tractor because one doesn't have to make those final last tiny adjustments? Is it that the mirror surface is easier on the eyes?
photon46
The reason you might do them by ear AFTER you had them aligned by protractor is that sometimes the stylus does not sit perfectly on the candilever.
John Gordon, thanks for your take on it all. Perhaps Vacuum State's unfortunate title for their protractor is a result of "English as a second language." They aren't selling anything, it's a free download they offer on their website. Goatwuss' point regarding "simple geometry" is of course true. Perhaps what is really meant by "ear tuning" is that one finds through fiddling around with their alignment that they prefer the distortion distribution of Lofrgren B points vs. A, as John said.
I use the DB protractor and find it easy to use and very accurate. Plus it is not arm/table specific like the Mint.
Mauidj, I think that you missed the 'point' by Mint tractor. Ie the spindle diameter as variable is included.This means that the tractor is 'spindle'(aka TT) specific.
BTW 'easy to use' and 'very accurate' seldom coincide. I am alas not familiar with Dertonarm's tractor but I know that the spindle variable is also included. But reg. the 'ease of use' one can check by the thread about this tractor.

Regards,
Hi photon

Allen Wright of vacuum state was an Australian. His english was just fine :-)