Do you remember...

…when Hi-fi meant the record player?

…when playing a 45 on the Hi-fi, you had to put that “doohickey” over the spindle? What is that “doohickey” called anyway? Or you inserted those other “doohickey’s” into the 45 itself, what are those called? (About the size of a poker chip.)

…you could stack multiple records, press auto and it would drop them one by one and play them, even while stacked on another!

…trying to center a 45 perfectly without the “doohickey” because you couldn’t find it? This never worked.

(Note to the younger, 45’s have a much larger whole than 33’s, so you needed a “doohickey”…can someone give a name to this?

If anyone is wondering where this is coming from, with my recent use of the Sony SCD-1, where I have to place my disc down inside, unto a spindle and place a stabilizer over it, I was having flashbacks of the old Hi-fi.

May Dad later blessed us by purchasing a Juke Box modified to play w/o money, playing 45’s was simplified by just pressing keys to play the 45’s you desired.
brianmgrarcom
My first tt was a Garrard changer. I had a "45 RPM Adapter" that I would slide over the center spindle. Unless I positioned the 45's perfectly they wouldn't drop down properly. It wasn't until I went away to college that I learned that stacking records wears them out.
You also didnt't mention the big red brush I would clip to the headshell to pick up the dust. Ah, those were the days...
Sure, tracking force had three adjustments: dime, penny, and nickle! Do you also remember double record albums that were pressed for ease of use with a multiple play spindle? One LP was pressed with sides 1 and 4, the other LP with sides 2 and 3. This allowed you to grab the 2 LP's off the spindle after side 2 had played, and you could just flip over the stack of LP's, so that now sides 3 and 4 were in proper play sequence! Also, not too good for the care and longevity of the vinyl!
Post removed