Iam a NEWBIE in analog, will someone help me

Iam a newbie in a analog, and I just recently purchased a Vpi Scoutmaster with the standard jmw-9 and a Bat vk-p5 phono preamp. Does anyone out there have the same setup or maybe just someone who can help me choose a matching cartridge and cables for this? Also, in regards to the Bat vk-p5, I have read some reviews mentioning something about replacing the stock tubes to Amperex tubes, is that really necessary? Thanks.
apollocruz
I have a Benz LP - a bit more expensive, but much more refined. When you need to replace the stylus, Benz has an excellent return/upgrade offer. Leave the tubes alone for now...experiment when they burn out.
Three words: Setup, Setup, Setup. It's easy to loose any benefit from a good or great cartridge and phono preamp with a bad setup. Invest in a setup record and some tools to ensure that your tone arm and cartridge are set up properly. Until you have a handle on consistently setting up the cartridge and tonearm everything else is moot. Have fun!
.... about replacing the stock tubes to Amperex tubes, is that really necessary?

A manufacturer will use the tubes he can buy and he can support. The internal specs are made with those tubes. Using different tubes is a hobby some can improve the performance, some will change something, it is a personal taste.
I think, you can make life a bit easier when you choose a cartridge with higher output, MC about 0.4mV or a bit more.
You didn't even listen to the BAT and you're thinking about changing tubes? A true audiophile. As long as you're asking for advice, if possible, (and I know it's not always possible)buy your cartridge from a local VPI dealer and have him set up the table for you. Then listen to it for a year until you have a firm reference in your mind. Then, you will know whether changing tubes or cartridges or cables is an improvement or just a change. Right now, without that reference point, you're just walking around in the dark.

As to a cartridge, I believe a lot of VPI users seem to gravitate towards Dynavector. Enjoy your new setup.
Dear Apollocruz: As Calbrs03 posted the MM/MI alternative is very good ( even better that what you could think. ) as are the cartridges he name it.

Here you can get the Ortofon M20FL Super:

http://www.williamthakker.eu/Ortofon-M-20-FL-Super-M20FL-Super-Tonabnehmer_p6092_len_sidcc961bd1f8b554e99897d9faab239b8e_x2.htm

here the Nagaoka MP-50:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=NAGAOKAMP050&Category_Code=NAGAOKACART

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.