Spiral Groove Centroid tonearm

Anyone has any experience with this new design? It has a rather brief rave review along with the Spiral Groove turntable in the latest Stereophile. It seems like an exciting analog product in recent years, along with Thales arms. Allen Perkins is a respected designer and I am intrigued by his tonearm design and wants to learn more about it.

From what I read, it's a unipivot design with a unique counterweight and bearing housing that concentrate most of the mass at the center pivot point, hence the name Centroid. I am also curious about how it deals with azimuth rocking in a unipivot design. Does it have a secondary ball bearing to stabilize torsional behavior like the Graham Phantom, Basis Vector, and Continuum Coppperhead, or the slightly different Nottingham and Simon Yorke? Or is it a pure unipivot with a spike and dimple? In unipivot designs, it is how the designer handles the azimuth rocking that truly shows the creativity. I'm surprised this tonearm has garnered much talk among the forum lurkers. If you know more about it, please contribute and discuss. Thanks!

Some pictures.
hiho
Of course, I consider your Olympos cartridge to be among the finest in the world. That said, in a sense, isn't the alignment similar in ways to the tried and true alignment jig of times gone past? In the case of the Spiral Groove, precision is a given, and Allen's enviable six in-house CNC machines bring the concept to a new level. Still, what interests me most is the inertia concept of the tonearm. I belive, like Jim Winey, that inertia is the singular make or break component of any tonearm.

Regards,
Win
Saskia Turntables
The concept is that you pass the blunt end of a 1mm drill shaft through the Centroid headshell and also partly into the body of a Delos or Kleos. This will align the stylus of the Delos/Kleos where it needs to be in the Centroid.

Cool! I wish all cartridges and tonearms are standardized in such a way and would certainly save so much time for audiophiles.

Anyone else has more info regarding the arm design on features that Mosin pointed out such as its dynamic behavior, mass distribution, energy transfer, material, damping, pivot position, etc...? Mr. Perkins is a talented designer and I would like to learn more about his new creation as it, at least, appears to exhibit solid engineering and inventiveness.

From the look of it, I suspect the Centroid implemented some of the idea from his earlier design, the Immedia tonearm, which includes novel features like platter level pivot point with adjustable VTA at the bearing spike. The Centroid is probably a further refinement of the Immedia with new idea in handling inertia. Exciting! Also want to know if it uses a secondary bearing to stablize azimuth rocking.

_____
I'm going to try and not be promotional here. If I fail at my attempt, I sincerely apologize. I want to reinforce what Jonathan mentioned about the overhang alignment arrangement when using the Centroid and the new Delos or Kleos. In the case of the Centroid, we include an alignment system that provides exact stylus to pivot positioning of the alignment protractor using the locator hole on the headshell, which will also accommodate for the particular cartridge height (which will change the stylus to pivot point distance) with a height adjustable locator pin mounted on the protractor. When using the new generation Lyra Delos or Kleos, the alignment protractor isn't really needed unless you want to perfectly align the cantilever to the protractor within the deviation of the screw diameter to the headshell slot spacing. Don't get me wrong, zenith is a critical alignment, but I find that visually aligning the cantilever to a protractor is usually only good for a consistent zero point from which to do the final dial in by ear. There is a patent on this locator hole system but the patent is really only to maintain a standard. I know that Allen Perkins invites all cartridge and tonearm manufacturers to use this system in an effort to standardize and make set up easier. Credit must be given to both Jonathan and Allen for their conceiving and executing on this system. It is in the spirit of furthering the art and not market competition. To answer the questions about the Centroid and azimuth stability, the goal was to significantly reduce the moment of inertia and therefor its effect on the cartridge cantilever/suspension system. It is a classic unipivot and the stability goal of the arm is actually in the name. Allen has designed the counterweight to place the center of arm mass at the pivot point (where the pin and jewel cup meet) . In other words, the arm functions on the centroid of the mass. (Centroid; def. - That point about which the static moment of all the elements of area is equal to zero) Of course, the center of mass will move relative to the pivot point depending on the position of the counterweight. The Centroid has a stainless steel counterweight that is quite heavy and wraps closely, forward, and low around the pivot point in such a way that very little movement is required to accommodate a wide cartridge weight/stylus pressure range up front. With the center of mass always located extremely (extremely) close to the pivot point, the moment of inertia is very low and the stability of the system, in all planes is very high...when the stylus is at the record plane. The very low and consistent moment of inertia due to the consistent proximity of the center of mass to the pivot point provides a system that allows for the use of low weight/high compliance and high weight/low compliance cartridges. I'm afraid I've already stepped over the boundries in my explanation so I had best stop here, and I'm sure I've just raised more questions than answered those above. There are a good many details beyond this description that I think are more appropriate for a manufacturer sponsored information site. Again, my apologies of I've come across as promotional.
cheers, Stirling Trayle
I failed to mention...
Mark Doehmann, Director of Research and Development at Continuum Audio Labs must be noted as well in regards to the concept and discussion that led to the stylus locator hole system mentioned above. I believe Allen, Jonathan, and Mark were sitting around after a trade show chatting about things analog and this was one result. Woulda been fun to sit in on that one...