Tips for setting VTF on VPI Classic?

Does anyone have any tips for making very small changes to VTF on the VPI Classic? As Classic owners know (and owners of all VPI tonearms), the counterweight is not theaded but slides after a small lock nut is loosened. Sliding it back and forth incrementally is very difficult, or I have at least found it to be difficult-I almost always overshoot in either direction. I imagine anyone who uses the crude Shure guage that comes with the table wouldn't notice, but on my digital scale which I carefully place to be almost exactly level with a record placed on the spindle I find it difficult to dial in a reading of 1.75 grams, my target. No matter how small a change I try to make in sliding the counterweight to or fro, I end up at least .10 grams on either side of my target. FWIW, I am running a Benz Glider which may be part of the problem, being fairly skeletal and light.
The manual refers to placing an allen key in the back of the tonearm wand to make smaller adjustments, turning a weight inside the arm but I have found that to be of no help either. When I turn that weight, the entire tonearm wants to rotate due perhaps to excessive friction/tightness of the internal threads (?). Maybe the interior weight is all the way "in" and I should back it out and start over with the counterweight and then the internal weight? Has anyone else noticed this?
I still LOVE my Classic, and the sound is good at 1.65 grams where I have relunctantly settled for the time being.
128x128fsonicsmith
the allen nut screw in the back of the tonearm is your best bet to make incremental adjustments in my opinion. on my jmw-9, i've found that from all the way out to all the way in changes increments by about .5 grams. i would suggest you back your screw all the way out, reset your weight, and fine tune it by screwing the set screw back in. good luck.

how do you like your glider? i'm running a lower level benz and have been thinking of upgrading to the new glider s.
Fsonicsmith,

Try tip #6 on this thread . Intended for older Triplanars that also lacked fine VTF, but it works on any arm that has some exposed length of end stub.

I've been using this method for five years to make reliable, repeatable adjustments with < .01g accuracy.
I have found that removal of the small weight on the inside of JMW tonearms make the arm/cartridge sound better. Perhaps because of elimination of resonance, vibration, etc. Anyway, if you get in the ballpark of your needed weight, you can use small 0-rings on the end stub of the tonearm to more easily manage the VTF. Do not decide what the VTF should be. It has been my experience that the manufacturer's suggested VTF is only that. LISTEN ...add a little, remove a bit, and let your ears be your guide as to what is best.