DBP-10 Protractor Instructions......

I just got it and I cannot grasp this. I'm not an engineer.
I have a VPI JMW9 on my Scout.
I found the data specs on the web.
I own a caliper and a scale for the tracking force.
Someone please walk me through this in layman's terms.
I'm even open to a phone call at your convenience.
What am I, a rocket scientist?
dreadhead
Dear Actusreus: I'm not against " the business man " and profits but against what that " business man " let you and " oriented " for what you understand in good faith.

+++++ " most vinyl enthusiasts, like myself, do not want to deal with calculations, different parameter values, or innermost/outermost groove values, etc " +++++

because of that it is easy to make business with people: why try to make business with deceives.

Anyway, you get my point.

Regards and enjoy the music,
raul.

regards and enjoy the music,
raul.
I'll just respond to Raul's accusations by inviting anyone to go the following link and then to the bottom of the page where the list of reviews and feed back is. Anyone can read through the links and find pros and cons about the Mint and other protractor options.

The fact that this is all linked on Yip's website DOES NOT support Raul's assertion that there are "dishonest, deceptive" people involved.

Read and decide for yourself.

Review's at the bottom of the page
Dear Actureus: Btw, the only date/value you have to know is the effective length on your tonearm, is this parameter the only one you have to deal with it is this value the one that you introduce in the Calculator Input and this Calculator not only gives: stylus overhang, offset angle, pivot to spindle distance and null points but a diagram/graphic where you can see how/which , with that algorithm , trackin error and tracking distortion you have over the playing LP surface.

I give you all the other parameters only to explain how all those different algorithms work but you only need to deal with the tonearm effective lenght.

Anyway, an option.

regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Raul,

When you used words like "dishonest" and "deceive" to describe Yip you exceeded the bounds of politeness and dishonored him. You may disagree on technical grounds, but that does not justify personal insults.

Hundreds of satisfied customers, including me, will attest that Yip has been honest and open in everything he says, does and sells.

A public insult deserves a public apology. An honorable man would admit his error and offer one, without conditions.

Very disappointed,
Doug
I emailed Yip about the issues brought up by Raul and he sent this reply with his permission to post his response.

Again, all can read and decide for themselves.

"may I quote:
"that's right and that " specifically " tonearm made protractor can/must be used with any other tonearm that has the same effective length than the JMW-9!!!!!!!"
end of quote

I do put up a warning on the Best Tractor to make sure new entrants would not use a wrong tractor for a wrong tonearm which can have tragic outcome.

But I believe 99% of my users know what is meant by Effective Length/Mounting Distance. And if they do not then they will email me and ask and I will give correct answers.

This is a limit on arc protractors and I think I have emphasized this enough on my webpage.

may I quote:
"But that IMHO dishonest Mint people let you think that if you have two same effective length pivot tonearms from different manufacturer/designs you need two " specifically made " protractors!!!!!!: these dishonest Mint people are only decieve/cheat/fool you ( and making a fraud ) because your very low knowledge about geometry tonearm/cartridge different algorithm calculations."
end of quote

Wow ! My answer to this is very simple: there are some users who order more than one Tractor at one single order and I am very sure that I have never asked people to buy 2 identical Tractors in terms of geometry but for a different brand or model of tonearms. In retrospect I have many users who order a 2nd Tractor when they upgraded to another brand. Now for these cases I do not check what is their first order tonearm brand/model. There is a very slim chance [my guess is 0.1% of my Tractor sales] users may have ordered an identical Tractor if they have not done their homework.

In order to safeguard this I will give all my users the quote on MD/EL employed in the preparation of Best Tractors with immediate effect. One should take negative comments positively!

The above accusation assumes people who buy from me are ignorant and naive. Yes I have many new entrant users but my guess is over 85% of my users are very well experienced in analogue playing and they really know what they want.

The above is my open remark, feel very free to quote and I stand by it."