Placette passive and phono stage

Hello,

I've just moved from a complete digital system to trying out analog. I just got a Technics SL1200 MKII that I plan on doing the KAB modifications on. Before I start those modifications, I need to figure out the Phono Stage, currently I have a grado black cartridge feeding a NAD PP-1 then to my Placette. This setup is not acceptable, I do not have enough gain and there is a lot of surface noise.

My thoughts are as follows for the first upgrade. No. 1 - decide on Cartridge (I'm leaning to the Denon 103R), then get a better stand alone phono stage ($500 range), see if I have enough gain using the that combination with the placette, if not then I could get a step up transformer (maybe Jensen).

Does this sound like a logical path.
koryodell
What amp and speaker do you have? Would you know the input sensitivity of the amp? I'm guessing you will need at least 72 dB gain before the amp.
dear Koryodell: IMHO a MM/MI analog source alternative could work better for you where you don't need all the gain than a LOMC needs in the other side there are several cartridge alternatives that outperform the 103R, this one is really good , inexpensive and works fine in your TT/tonearm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ortofon-M20E-Super-MM-cartridge-M-20-E-Super-NOS-/400085013949?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d26ecd5bd

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I'm with Raul, at your price point you are much better off with a higher output cartridge. You need a high output cartridge and a phono stage with a low output impedance to mate with the Placette. I didn't see any specs on the output impedance of your stage but with a Placette I would recommend being in the 100 ohm or below range.

Surface noise isn't a result of your equipment unless you have a bad stylus, more likely the result of dirty/defective records.