Benz LP cartridge distortion - any advise?

I recently purchased a BENZ LP cartridge here on Audiogon and I am having a frustrating time dialing it in. The main issue is with an unpleasant amount distortion and sibilance heard on vocals. It can also be heard on some brass instruments. Other instrumentation (guitars, bass, drums, etc) sounds clear.

This is my first cartridge of this caliber and I have read that dialing it in takes some work, but I have reached a point where I need to ask for some help. I wonder if someone who is more experienced with this cartridge might be able to give me some direction.

Here is what I am working with:

Benz LP cartridge (original, not the current “S” class), purchased used with 100 hours, currently tracking at 1.9 grams (alignment was performed with a MINT tractor)
VPI Classic turntable with JMW 10.5i tonearm
Graham Slee Elevator, currently loading at 1000 ohms
EAR 834p phono stage
McIntosh MA6600 amplifier
B&W Nautilus 804 speakers

Adjustments in VTA don’t seem to help eliminate the sibilance or distortion.

I appreciate any advise.
woodvale
Audiofeil:

This thread is an example of one!

Why do so many used cartridge ads state "used only 100 Hrs"?
Don C55,

I do not know how many cartridges you have had, but heres how you end up with one having 100 hours. You buy new, and run 40 hours break-in, since all carts sound awfully different, in next 50 hours you realise that it is not your cup of tea (while its obvious form the start that this is not the thing you want, everyone just go through that 40 hours barrier to see how actually cart performs).

Of course that does not mean, that all seller are honest. At least he got a Benz Micro LP! There are many plain simple thieves or scammers on AA outthere selling thin air (have cought one selling Nordost Frey, he wanted to rip me off $500).

>This thread is an example of one!
>Why do so many used cartridge ads state "used only 100 Hrs"?
Is there anyone close to you that can check it under a microscope for wear? This will eliminate or point to wear.
Thanks for all the responses. I believe that the stylus may be more worn than reported. I have contacted the seller and he has agreed to take care of the problem.
The seller is willing to take care of it. That may mean that there could be a problem with the cartridge. Good for you.