Turntable Hiss

Hi,
I just got a turntable off ebay. I love the sound of it. I can not believe more people don't listen to records.
Here is the question:
I have to turn the volume about 25% higher when I am listening to a record (versus listening to CDs or radio.) At the same time, I get a hissing noise. I still prefer to listen to the LP but is there a way to decrease the hissing noise?
My equipment:

Technics SL-QD33 turntable (w/ audio-technica 8008 cartridge)
Cambridge Audio 540-P Phono-preamp
Cambridge Audio 840A Integrated Amp
Audio Physic Yara Evolution Speakers

The cables between the amps and the turntable are cheap kind. I do connect the ground wire of the turntable to the screw on the phono preamp.

Many thanks
katie617
Third what Al said. The phono stage is probably the most overlooked component in the vinyl chain. Getting it really right is night and day from not doing so.
It makes more sense to find a cartridge to match the preamp.
Ron -- Note that she already has a 5mv cartridge. No moving magnet or moving iron cartridge, to my knowledge, is going to provide a great deal more output than that. I believe there are some cartridges that approach 7mv, but that is less than 3db greater.

So if the root cause of the problem, as I suspect, is the level of noise generated by the phono stage, changing cartridges will not improve signal-to-noise ratio, and therefore will not help significantly.

Regards,
-- Al