Is MOFI L. Ronstadt Prisoner in Disguise better?

I recently purchased the MOFI release of The Prisoner in Disguise LP. I was really disappointed. The original totally smokes this re-release. The original goes deeper, vocals are much better and the presentation is more natural. MOFI, what is going on? I am noticing this more and more with MOFI. Is anyone else experiencing similar outcomes? I guess I'll go to the Flea Market from now on. It is not even close. My original copy is not even a mint copy and it is still better and plays better throughout the whole record. A major waste of 35 bucks.
tzh21y
How many people compensated for the thicker 180 gm MFSL vnyl (besides AudioFeil I'm sure :) ) by raising the tonearm. Most modern cartridges with their exotic shapes are very VTA sensitive and it makes a sizeable difference in the sound of the MFSL issues--eps. if your VTA is set for the thinner original pressing!

Myles
I totally understand the VTA adjustments and the differences they make. I do have the Simple Dreams original and it sounds pretty good. I have not heard the mOFI nor do I plan on making the purchase after my recent experiences. The one newer MOFI release that I have that sounds decent is the Madeleine Peyroux Careless Love LP. It is the same vinyl weight as the MOFI Prisoner in Diguise. The Alison Krauss and Union Station So Long So Wrong is also pretty decent.

I also have an old Japanese pressing of "Whats New" and it is sonically superior to these and its vinyl weight is much less. It is much better as in "blows away" any of the above mentioned. Better quality period.

Ever since the original MOFI went under, their quality has never been the same. If you do not believe me, buy one and listen for yourself.
>>03-17-10: Rhljazz
The point I was attempting to make was that the Mo Fi Prioner LP was sonically superior to the average original release Ronstadt LP as played through my system.<<

And my point is that is useless information. You simply cannot compare 2 different recordings/pressings and draw any worthwhile conclusions.

It is purely speculative/meaningless and really is a disservice to the readers here.
I just played the MOFI Prisoner and the Original Prisoner back to back again just to see if I was on glue. All I can say is NO CONTEST. The original blows it away in extension, separation, presence, body and "detail" if you can believe that. I am NOT on glue after all. I thought it was my phono section for the mish mosh sound of the Mofi. I am happy to say that their is nothing wrong with me phono section or alignment. MOFI needs to get someone who knows how to press vinyl because this was a major waste of money or a really horrible pressing. The "Don't Cry Now" re-release is not much better What happened to Stan Ricker anyway? This does not sound like his work.
If your thinking of buying the MOFI, don't waste your money, getthe original for 2 dollars.