Tube Diagnosis

I am a bit limited in my experience with Tube quirks so looking for a bit of insight.

With no music playing I noticed a small amount of noise coming from the left channel of my system a couple weeks ago.

I isolated it to my preamp (Aesthetix Calypso - 12AX7 gain and a 6922 output in each channel) and then further to the left channel output tube. I did this by swapping the left and right output tubes and the noise moved with the tube.

I am running used tubes with a reasonably low but unknown amount of hours, all was silent until a couple weeks ago. Telefunken ECC803S for Gain and amperex PQ white 6922's for Output.

The 'noise' is a low level crackle that seems random. i.e. crackle crackle---silence for a random amount of seconds--crackle and so on. It is independent of volume and does not change if the tube is lightly tapped! The noise is low as I mentioned but can be heard during silent sections of music and is distracting enough for me to buy new tubes to get rid of it. The only other thing I have noticed is that the noise is a bit more pronounced when I first turn on the system, after it warms up things mellow but the noise does not go away.

I have experience with tube rush and what I would call microphonic noise - tube noise that increases with volume and responds to tapping of the tube. This is something different.

So, is this the sound of a Tube that is dying or just a tube that went noisy and will now stay that way?

Thanks
nikturner920
The first thing I would do is clean the pins on the tube and the socket. Poor contact sometimes causes that kind of noise.

Is it coming out equally from both channels or only one channel? If it is one channel, you can isolate the offending tube (if it is the tube) by swapping left and right tubes to see if the problem follows a particular tube.

I hope it is not the 803S. I run those in a phono stage and they are really big bucks these days.
If it is one channel, you can isolate the offending tube (if it is the tube) by swapping left and right tubes to see if the problem follows a particular tube.

He did this and mentioned it in the thread :

I did this by swapping the left and right output tubes and the noise moved with the tube.

I am running used tubes with a reasonably low but unknown amount of hours,

You have done the process of elimination , so guess its time to buy some different tubes.
Call Andy at "Vintage Tube Services", he can recommend some quite replacements that won't break the bank!.Good luck!
Try Larry's suggestion first, it could be dirty pins. You can use a pencil eraser. If you have alcohol wipes use one of those after erasing the pins.
Thanks guys.

The noise follows the tube and thank god it is Not the 803S, it the amperex PQ. Still pretty pricey for low noise matched pairs.

The pins looked clean but worth checking that.

Used VTS in the past and like them. Thing is I love that sound of this tube other than the noise. Maybe Andy can track something that will sound the same.