What oil for VPI HW19 turntable?

Using a VPI HW19 table and figure it's time for a oil change.
here are the questions. How often should or do you change the oil? And, what oil to use?
scottht
Why do you figure a need for an oil change?

One changes oil in a car because of the very high temperatures that break down the oil. Dirt from road use and combustion byproducts can contaminate the oil, and slow leaks and the combustion process can cause the oil level to drop below the needed amount.

None of these things are really true in a turntable situation. The primary issue there is the oil is so old that its viscosity has changed due to evaporation of the volatile components.

If you can disassemble the component, you might wipe it off with a clean cloth prior to re-oiling.

In that case, it is not really an issue of "changing" the oil as adding some more. A light machine oil is likely the proper one to use, but only the manufacturer can tell you for sure what is recommended.
Actually, if what's in there is original, or someone else' idea, you should change it.

Remove the platter from the bearing well being caerful not to lose the ball. Unscrew the cap at the bottom of the well. Use mineral spirits on a lint free cloth like Handi-Wipes to clean out what is probably dark thick gunk.

Drip 5 drops of Mobil One 10W-40 on the spindle shaft and 3 more drops in the well. Rotate a few times, watch for spillage. Done.

That's what VPI recommends in the MK IV Manual.
I think VPI recommends adding oil (not changing it) once a year. I have been doing that and have not had any problems. I use VPI oil/grease. I have a Superscoutmaster, so I use the oil for the motors and put some grease at the platter bearing. I suggest getting the supplies direct from VPI since it comes with assurance that it is the right stuff.