VTF and VTA- Constant or not?

I was wondering lately about the following questions:
What's your best, quickest method to prove that VTF and VTA/SRA have been set up correctly or close to ideal?
What tools do you need to have in measurements?

More important, I am pretty interested in knowing your invaluable experience:
Is it possible to have them "set and forget"(i.e. constant)?
If not, how frequent will you have your routine checking with the carts you have come across?

Any thoughts are welcome...
Thanks in advance.
Dan
128x128danwkw
Every other record I've purchased since I got into analog heavily about half a year ago has been visibly warped. (I returned first few but soon gave up since it seems to be the norm, not the exception, sadly. At least for jazz records. But that's a topic for another thread already discussed here.) Doubtless, warpage affects VTA/SRA setting even for the same record making any valid comparison very difficult and probably not very meaningful. So unless all of your records are perfectly flat, I'd question the benefit of recording settings for every LP and advocate for a setting that seems to work for most records, just to retain my sanity. But then again, I have neither Doug's or Paul's ears, nor their equipment, so I can only speak for myself.
Doug,

I lowered the VTF to 1.5gm and TRIED to get "negative VTA :-)" but with the DaVinci 12" it is very difficult (as Dertonarm stated).
Nevertheless, with the DaVinci parallel the "magic" of the Universe returned to its former domain.
As you have indicated, it must be a slow process of the suspension lowering that requires a keen ear on things at all times?

I will now attempt your 1.2gm benchmark and work up as you suggest but now as I sit blissfully listening to the Universe in full flight, I look at my wife and say....."damn, I bet Doug could get it better than this!?" :-(
I also have a list like Dertonarm's, though self generated and a bit half-assed.

To me, Doug, absolutely "Not". You are a real vinyl enthusiast! And it's nothing to do with how high pricey your equipments are.

I will try to experiment your "mistracking point" method to reset the VTF and report back later;)

Best regards
Dan