Question regarding reputation of SOTA tables

I'm a SOTA Sapphire owner. I've noticed that Stereophile and Absolute Sound never mention SOTA tables. Reviewers don't appear to own them nor are SOTAs ever on the "recommended" list of components. Are SOTAs that poor of a table? What gives?
rockyboy
Sota is one of the oldest "hi end" turntable manufacturers still around. Their support is excellent (if a little slow sometimes) They dont kiss asses and wine dine at trade shows so the reviewers ignore them. Look at the table feature by feature. inverted jeweled bearing, pendulum suspension, one of the most advanced platters evermade,super accurate motor with power supply , vacuum, constrained layer arm board, best clamp ever made etc etc. Dollar for dollar no other manufacturer offers anything close for the money. Ive owned more tables than I can remember several costing many times what a cosmos cost's. Ive had my cosmos for a year and have no plans to upgrade.
A used Sota can be a great bargain (I have owned 3 ) The things to look for are the lip on the platter and bearing damage from a table not properly secured for shipping. Donna and Kirk are very helpful with used products. I would recommend finding one with the old style platter/lip for cheap and then having it upgraded to the current lip with cosmos bearing.The older star and nova are easy to remove the platter assembly from and then it can be easily (and cheaply) shipped. Most Sota vacuum table owners are converts for life.
To over simplify, there are two approaches to this hobby. Buy quality, matched components, keep them in top operating condition, forget about constant upgrades and enjoy your music for years. Or buy highly recommended components that may not necessarily be matched, continue reading reviews of the "latest and greatest", and remain on the merry-go-round of continual component upgrades looking for musical satisfaction.

Your SOTA Sapphire is a well designed table -- that does not change. The Premier FT-3 arm is a known match for your table. I won't suggest you could not find something better, but at what cost and would it be worthwhile to you? You say it is in great shape "but it's an older series I". Do you know that it is operating optimally? I recently sold an older Sapphire to a friend but only after I went through the suspension, making certain every piece was screwed down securely and that the springs still carried proper tension. If you are not up to such a do-it-yourself task, Kirk can check yours and redo anything necessary.

As others have suggested, I wouldn't worry about the lack of current reviews. But I would make certain my table and arm are functioning as intended before I considered making an "upgrade".

Good luck and enjoy your music.
At the risk of being right on the sharp edge of forum etiquette, if anyone viewing this thread is looking for a used SOTA Nova, email me off-thread.
Kirk overhauled my table back in 2005. It still has the original springs which probably need replacing. He recommends that I have my arm rewired, and have him upgrade my table to a series III Nova. That would be the most cost effective upgrade path. Either that or trade my Sapphire in for a series III Nova. That would cost a little more.
how or where you're components 'rank' does not matter if you dig them. the cool stuff nearly always lives outside the pages of magazines.