Turntable Distortion

Recently decided to get into vinyl a bit and found a free B&O Beogram RX-2 w/ MMC4. I bought a Cambridge Audio 640P and connected to my Creek Destiny (the Creek does not have a pre-installed phono board).

All records sound overdriven even at low volumes. Is this likely a problem with the TT (cartridge/tonearm setup, turntable itself) or the preamp?

Thanks.
al3700
Dear Al3700: About the gain and internal phono board you must contact Cambridge and Creek directly by email, they will give you the precise answers.

I don't hear/heard either so I can't speak of each one phono stage quality performance but with the Destiny you have at least two advantages: no additional IC cables/connectors and synergy between phono stage and line stage that always is desired.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
We repaired B&O and I often saw the old cartridges suffer from internal dry rot on the rubber that supports the stylus. The MMC 4 was the lower end cart the MMC 1 the highest.

Has anyone looked at the stylus under a microscope? It could be damaged. Also do you have a good way to clean the stylus?

Soundsmith rebuilds and sells B&O carts.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/indexBeo.html

ET