TTWeights new Black Onyx Idler drive Turntable

About three weeks ago I drove to Newmarket. It is about an hours drive from Brampton, but I wanted to listen to Larry's 'Christine' turntable. When I got there I found Larry all excited about his newer turntable. A less expensive, more heavily damped version of Christine (and much less expensive). He explained to me how Christine was way overbuilt. There is no reason for a one horsepower motor, way overkill. His 1" carbide main bearing shaft was also way too much, and the shape of Chrisine's plinth did nothing for resonance control. Along comes the Black Onyx, still in R & D, so off I went back to Brampton.

I went back three weeks later, that was a couple of days ago, and with an armful of albums, sat down for a long listen. I will say that a long listen is not necessary. It took about ten seconds to realise this was something very special. Everything from Cat Stevens, Bruce Cockburn and Jeena Lodwick to Dire Straits and YES. Without fail, every single track on every album left me with goosebumps. Singers seamingly playing for me in his office did nothing for my bank account. He now has my deposit, and I wait patiently.

My turntables have all been belt drive. Many years ago I purchased a Heybrook TT2. This was commonly referred to as a baby Linn. My next table was a JA Michell GyroDec (mostly because I thought it looked wicked), and finally to the Teses 340. I will say the jump from the Michell to the Teres was only equaled by the next jump to the Black Onyx. I think I can safely say Idler Drive turntables are a wonderful idea. The Saskia is highly regarded, as is the new VPI. Both idler drive. If you can get to TTWeights for a listen, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

The rest of my system is thus; ZYX Universe cartridge, TriPlanar and Schroeder DPS tonearms, Atma-Sphere MP-1 mklll preamp, Atma-Sphere MA-1 Silver edition amps, EMM Labs CDSAse, Magnum Dynalab MD-108T tuner, and an older pair of ProAc Response 2 speakers. I sold my Coincident TVll'2 and am building speakers using Accuton mid and tweeter, with SEAS 10" woofers. Still months away.

My listening room is almost complete and should be finished about the same time as the Black Onyx. I will get back to you after that.
cousinbillyl
Cousinbilly1,
I didn't read your statement about changing the O rings until after I posted mine.
I will be visiting Larry again this week. I will take the same albums, relisten, and get back to you all. But, having said that;

I too will have a second look at the O-rings. Another 'BUT',: having looked at the website, thought, and used my tiny little analytical brain, have come to a realisation:: 1) there are four O-rings, not one. This immediately says to me he has already thought of the torque and possible problems with 'creep', pitting, thermal expansion, bulging, etc.. 2) the O-rings appear in the photograph to be very well seated, and tight. Creap is not a concern to me. 3) Larry deals with Aircraft type tolerence's and products. I will ask, but I highly doubt, that he uses anything less then aircraft quality O-rings.

Case in point, his Olite bearing is used in military helicopters, this is because no other bearing can withstand the stress involved with helicopter rotors. I doubt a turntable will develop the same stresses, but he uses it anyways.

I will ask and querry Larry, but I already know he has addressed this topic in his equally little feeble brilliant mind.

LOL
Billy
Sorry Cpk, you are absolutely correct, mine was an inappropriate comment. Larry is all brilliance. He reminds me of a new age Albert Einstein, and that is why I made the comment. He is both brilliant and simplistic at the same time. He is re-evaluating every decision he has made, and rethinking every aspect of his table. He is making sure, that when his table is ready, no stone was left unturned. My table is not yet ready, through no fault of Larry's. I told him to continue his quest, and to let me know when he is ready. He is a man on a mission, and I like that. He is trying out new combinations of everything.

To answer the O-ring question; He is using a non-molded o-ring. I can't remember exactly what he said, but 'formed' o-rings are much 'truer', they are also more expensive. This is why they are used in aircraft, and the Black Onyx.

These o-rings will not be user servicable. He wouldn't go into details, but these o-rings will not move. The drive shaft will be manufactured to be user replaceable. Larry has told me that this will not occur for a number of years, but replacement assemblies will not be expensive, $30.00 - $35.00. This is no different then replacing tape drives or rubber/neoprene belts.
Albert Einstein was a New Age Albert Einstein. I don't think Larry would want to be raised quite to that standard. By the way, I just bought a couple of sets of the big adjustable TT Weights feet, the ones made for Christine but which are available as separate items. I needed tall-ish and height-adjustable feet for my slate plinth(s). The workmanship and the materials quality are outstanding.