TTWeights new Black Onyx Idler drive Turntable

About three weeks ago I drove to Newmarket. It is about an hours drive from Brampton, but I wanted to listen to Larry's 'Christine' turntable. When I got there I found Larry all excited about his newer turntable. A less expensive, more heavily damped version of Christine (and much less expensive). He explained to me how Christine was way overbuilt. There is no reason for a one horsepower motor, way overkill. His 1" carbide main bearing shaft was also way too much, and the shape of Chrisine's plinth did nothing for resonance control. Along comes the Black Onyx, still in R & D, so off I went back to Brampton.

I went back three weeks later, that was a couple of days ago, and with an armful of albums, sat down for a long listen. I will say that a long listen is not necessary. It took about ten seconds to realise this was something very special. Everything from Cat Stevens, Bruce Cockburn and Jeena Lodwick to Dire Straits and YES. Without fail, every single track on every album left me with goosebumps. Singers seamingly playing for me in his office did nothing for my bank account. He now has my deposit, and I wait patiently.

My turntables have all been belt drive. Many years ago I purchased a Heybrook TT2. This was commonly referred to as a baby Linn. My next table was a JA Michell GyroDec (mostly because I thought it looked wicked), and finally to the Teses 340. I will say the jump from the Michell to the Teres was only equaled by the next jump to the Black Onyx. I think I can safely say Idler Drive turntables are a wonderful idea. The Saskia is highly regarded, as is the new VPI. Both idler drive. If you can get to TTWeights for a listen, you'd be doing yourself a favor.

The rest of my system is thus; ZYX Universe cartridge, TriPlanar and Schroeder DPS tonearms, Atma-Sphere MP-1 mklll preamp, Atma-Sphere MA-1 Silver edition amps, EMM Labs CDSAse, Magnum Dynalab MD-108T tuner, and an older pair of ProAc Response 2 speakers. I sold my Coincident TVll'2 and am building speakers using Accuton mid and tweeter, with SEAS 10" woofers. Still months away.

My listening room is almost complete and should be finished about the same time as the Black Onyx. I will get back to you after that.
cousinbillyl
Hifitime, Thanks for the URL. The blurb says that Black Onyx is a "Direct Idler Drive", which is a contradiction in terms, and the photos are all of the intact turntable, taken whilst playing a record, so one cannot really tell about the drive system. I was under the impression, I think from Cousinbilly's post on VA, that their top end turntable IS an idler drive type and that the BO was a direct-drive type. I guess there was a problem of semantics, because in CB's post above, he is clearly calling it an idler. In any case, the BO appears to be a beautiful modern idler drive turntable for a palatable price.... very exciting. They will sell a "ton" of them, I predict, certainly by actual weight at least.
I'm confused about the drive system.But that aside,I can't stop myself from getting a glance at the pictures they do show.I'm not in the market for one now,but I do like what I see.
Their customers sent some nice photos too.Link>>[http://www.ttweights.com/customerpics.html]
Sorry about that guys. I should have taken a camera. I did see a non assembled table, so I will try my best to describe what I saw, as well as what Larry told me of his machining process

The drive motor sits under the plinth, near the back outer edge, but just inside the outer edge of where the platter will end. The motors shaft protrudes up through the plinth, and is therefore hidden from sight once the platter is installed. The motor can be seen if you look under the plinth.
The motor shaft has 4 o-rings installed with these o-rings driving the outer edge of a sub-platter (idler wheel?). That sub-platter is somehow attached to the main platter. I have no more information since I did not see this sub-platter/Idler wheel installed on the main platter. I believe "Direct through o-ring coupling Idler Drive" may be a more correct description?. The motor is decoupled from the plinth with a carbon fiber mat, and the o-rings further decoupling the motor drive shaft from the sub-platter 'idler wheel'. This is identical to 'Christine', with the exception 'Christine' has her motor in the front left corner as opposed to the back left.

The main bearing housing is first installed onto the plinth, but with no hole drilled. The plinth is then bolted to one of the machines Larry uses to make aircraft parts. He first drills an ~1" hole dead center and true. Into this hole he inserts a piece of cryo treated porous Brass. As the brass warms to room temperature it expands. This brass insert sleeve cannot be removed, nor can it move, and is now drilled by the same machine, but different drill bit of course. A small recess was also drilled in the top of this sleeve for two reasons. To hold excess oil for the absorption by the porous brass, and to have extra oil so that no future oiling be needed. Larry told me that while the platter/bearing are seating themselves, you can see oil starting to show itself along the top edge of this porous brass. Cool.
The main platter bearing is carbide steel, with the thrust ball still being experimented with. Do they make carbide ball bearings?.

The platter is as described on his website, multiple layers of material.

The tonearm mount is decoupled from the plinth with carbon fiber, the bolts holding the TriPlanar tonearm (in his demo unit) are decoupled using brass washers.

The motor controller is a thing of technical beauty. There are three speeds, 33.33, 45, and 78. Each setting has it's own seperate fine adjustment. I do not know how many masters where made slightly off speed, but at least now I can experiment.
So in the most well known vintage idlers (Garrard and Lenco), the motor drives a separate and discrete idler wheel via friction between a driven shaft and the idler wheel. The idler wheel in turn contacts either the inner rim of the platter (Garrard) or the under horizontal surface of the platter (Lenco) and drives the platter via friction. The Black Onyx is more like a formalized version of adding a Teres Verus or VPI rim-drive motor to an existing belt drive. In those set-ups the wheel that drives the platter is an integral part of the shaft of the motor. There is only one interface that depends upon friction, between the wheel and the platter. I guess this is why TT calls it "direct idler drive".

Just to generate a discussion, I would guess that there may be some advantage to the Garrard/Lenco idlers in that the separate and discrete idler wheel provides an additional amount of isolation between platter and motor. On the other hand, the motor in the TT is likely to be so hugely advanced in terms of noise, vibration, and speed constancy over either the Garrard or Lenco motors, that this small advantage is swamped out.