Hard drive for Oppo 105 and Sonos

I'm thinking of doing Sonos or something like it and want to start the process by ripping all my CDs to an external drive (that'll give me a chance to decide on Sonos or other similar system while getting the rips done). I want the drive to be compatible with both my 105 and Sonos so when I want I could use the USB connection direct to the Oppo 105 and also have the drive on all the time so it could be accessed by Sonos (if this is possible). What drive would make the most sense for my needs?
pokey77
Oh, if you are fairly computer savvy, you might also want to try to locate a used Squeezebox Touch. I know that most are taking advantage of the fact that they are no longer made, but I have seen a couple of deals here on Agon that weren't too bad.

The downside to the Touch is that it takes a bit more setting up to get it running and pulling files off of a server. The upside is that it will play files directly from a USB drive and it is IR remote capable.

I like the remote capability, mostly because I use a Harmony 900 with RF. I can quickly move through my play list without pulling out a remote device, like an iPad or iPod, and can control the volume too.
Thanks for all the comments so far. -I do not want to leave my computer powered on all the time. I'd rather just have an HD or NAS that can do the duty. And I want to make sure that my music is backed up. For me, I won't even start the project if back up isn't simple and fairly cheap. I don't want to waste my time with the possibility of loosing some or all of my work ripping thousands of files.

As you are probably aware, I'm not savy at all with computer audio. I like the Sonos product because it appears to be quite easy to set up and maintain with good wireless range. I'd like a way to do this cheaper, but I'm afraid it'll take a bunch of time that I don't have to give and that the end result won't have the ease of use that my wife will require. But, I am still open to any and all advice. Bring it on.
Pokey77,I would suggest Sonos + NAS. As you mention the Sonos is very easy to set up, the interface is fantastic, and its reliable. I was one of the first ones to purchase it back in 2003 I think. No issues. The NAS will allow you to not need a computer on all the time and provide automatic backup. Not the cheapest but definitely easy and robust.
Pardon the expression, but the Sonos is truly idiot proof. It is far easier to setup and maintain than anything else I've seen in the price range.

I have a little single drive NAS and I have it set to back up to two separate drives. One is just a little USB drive that is plugged into the NAS and the other is on a desktop.

Tboooe's solution is more bulletproof, but it isn't cheap.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the ripping software. I know that there is stuff out there that works well and is free, but I don't think I've found anything as refined and easy to use as something like dbPoweramp. Save yourself some headaches and spend the $30.