Hard drive for Oppo 105 and Sonos

I'm thinking of doing Sonos or something like it and want to start the process by ripping all my CDs to an external drive (that'll give me a chance to decide on Sonos or other similar system while getting the rips done). I want the drive to be compatible with both my 105 and Sonos so when I want I could use the USB connection direct to the Oppo 105 and also have the drive on all the time so it could be accessed by Sonos (if this is possible). What drive would make the most sense for my needs?
pokey77
Buffalo drives have been mentioned. What do you think of them?

Also, was thinking of two identical drives so I could back the primary drive up. How would you do it?

Finally, looking to spend less than more $$. That is kind of the lure of this, seems kind of inexpensive. Don't want to spend thousands. Though with a controller, HDD, a couple speakers and Connect, not really so cheap. Maybe I'm fooling myself.
If your Oppo has usb 3 capability, I would get one of the Western Digital usb 3 drives. You can get a 2 TB for around 150 and the drive is the size of a deck of cards. I use a 1TB usb 3 drive in my system. You can rip all your music to flac and have room for probably 100,000 songs. The quality is excellent.
I believe that the Sonos needs to pull files from a file server, of sorts, that is on your network. It won't pull files off of a USB hard drive. I don't think it will, anyway.

I believe that the oppo will also play content from over your network.

Using an external USB hard drive is something that many do, but I found it rather inconvenient. Every time you want to add something to it, you have to unplug it and plug it into your computer.

I'd propose one of two things. If you have a router with a USB port, plug the USB drive into that. The better way of doing it would be to get yourself a Synology NAS. They do make a single drive model that is under $200. Throw a hard drive into it and you'll have a drive that you can assess from your Oppo or Sonos via your network and you can access the drive from your computer.

I have my rig setup so that dbPoweramp rips directly to my Synology NAS. I don't even have to think about it. Once the files are on the Synology, I just update the databases on my Touch and Sonos.
Tonyangel is right (sort of). Sonos can only play files that are on the network. Files can reside on any computer folder as long as the folder is being shared on the network. Therefore, a USB hard drive will also work so long as it is visible on the network. The drawback to this approach versus using a NAS is that the PC tue USB hard drive is attached must be on all the time. Using a NAS also gives you automated backup. I am paranoid so I use a NAS configured to Raid 5 then use another NAS set up to backup my primary NAS once a week. I am also thinking about paying for cloud storage as well. Overboard I know but it has taken me 25 years to amass my music collection. I don't want to lose it all.