Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Hi All,

Just a return to the issue of set up on the G5. I should point out that there appears to be a reason behind my initial findings for the plug-and-play nature and ease of set up. I must also clarify that I receive a far better sound when the cartridge is placed in the AP-300s armwand than my longer MC-A armwand. Apart from shouts of "distortion", could there be any reason for this perception? Well, not unlike the experience of one of the posters here, there might have been an happy coincidence of set up.

I was recently reading literature for the Nagaoka MP50 cartridge and found that they also recommended the MP50H as their top model due to the use of their integrated and specially resonance matched headshell:

"One of the special features of the MP-50H and MP-30H lies with the magnesium alloy headshell."

Interestingly, when it comes to the issue of set up, Nagaoka, Japan state that:

"Adjust the overhang to proper length to minimize distortion. (At present the cartridge is fixed at a position in which h in figure 1 measures 50mm. This matches the overhang in most tonearms.)"

When I first set my Glanz G5 up (which, as I noted earlier, has the same 50mm length), I was removing my Nagaoka MP50 from my Audiocraft AC3300 tonearm still bearing the AP300S armwand. Obviously, mounting distance remained the same for the tonearm. Surprisingly though, the VTA of the Glanz also seemed best in the exact same position as the MP50 had just occupied, requiring no adjustment (although I was using my MP50 with a 2-3mm elevation at pivot). This left only the VTF to be adjusted to 1.5g. The result in this set up is the reason that I advocate others to try it out and referred to the plug-and-play nature of my experience with this gem. I can therefore only refer to my consistent argument that this G5 is a great cartridge.

I hope that gives real clarity and less controversy

Ejoy
Hi All,

It appears that the Glanz, particluarly my G-7 has some common roots with the Astatic MF range as had been suggested earlier in this thread. However, there are clear differences, which might explain some of the clear sonic differences in performance. A couple of references on Japanese sites provide the following detail:

"Mitachi Onkyo Seisakusho (brand name "GLANZ"),

Pickup cartridge called as "Moving Flux"(see also 4011417). Unique construction having merit of MM/IM/MC. Also see Design patent D266504(1982) assigned to The Astatic Corporation (cartridge model MF200). Also 4123067 about unique stylus pivot suspension (embodied in model G-7 cartridge), 1978"

"New type MM cartridge (coils fixed to the end of yoke) looking like mixture of MM, IM and MC, 1977"

I hope that is helpful/interesting to others as well as myself. My G-7 is on its way as I write: can't deny my excitement!!!

Cheers
Hi All,

Well at long last, I now possess my Glanz G7. It will be some time before I test or report on it as it needs a suitable tonearm, which I do not currently possess. I have identified what seems to be the best option and will be keeping an eye out for one going at a reasonable price. I suspect this exercise might be necessary to maximise the potential of both my G7 and G5 cartridges but will report when I am certain.

In the meantime, I have acquired various rated MM/MI cartridges and will be testing these.
Hi All,

I've not been able to resist. Having sent my Technics EPC-P100 Mk4 cartridge off for a touch up at Van den Hul, I put my Glanz G7 back on my Audiocraft AC-3300 tonarm last night with its original arm wand (AP300). Despite the fact that it does not match up on normal overhang nor null points, it rocks!! If there is distortion, I'm not hearing it. However, I'm still looking into a tonearm that might bring even more out of it with better alignment. Along with my soon-to-be revamped Technics, that could make up my two MM cartridge selection for my final set-up (along with either the Dynavector DRT XV1s or a - still unheard and unpurchased - Ortofon A90 MC). That my Azden YM-P50 does not make the shortlist should say a lot about my tastes and these cartridges. I try to indicate what I mean here.

If I were to group my above favoured cartridges, they would sit along side the Nagaoka MP50 and B&O MMC2 in voicing. While the Azden would sit along side the Andante P76, ADC XLM 2 Super, Ortofon M20FL and Audio Technica AT20. My tastes and experiences of live music obviously lean to the less warm presentation and incisive definition at frequency extremes of the former group (that is, the Technics, Glanz, B&O, Nagaoka and Dynavector) than the warmer sound and fuller midrange of the latter group and their like.

I should hasten to add that the live venues from which I seek to draw reference and on which my appreciation of high fidelity bases itself means that your mileage might invariably differ from mine. Which is closest to the mastertape of the songs is a totally different (and a difference that is both very significant and massively overlooked) issue. That one performance that the tape captures is not THE definitive sound produced by the same musicians performing the same music in distinct venues on distinct occassions. On the longer thread about MM v MC that Raul Ireugas started, I already point to two very useful books that will assist in clarifying why distinct systems will continue to satisfy distinct expectations without necessarily being 'wrong'. Voicing of cartridges and our appreciation of them is very, very complex. Nevertheless, the Glanz G5 and Glanz G7 seem phenomenal cartridges to my hearing and based on comparisons with the various named cartridges and many others.

I'll return once I have the new arm and have heard these under presumably optimised conditions. If you come across one in the meantime, definitely worth a try.
Hi Again,

By way of quick clarification, I should also stress that I am not claiming that each of the noted grouped cartridges sound the same or are of the same quality. My division is based on taste and experience and will hopefully be read with some sensitivity to such short-hand.

In this light, my final MM selection might also include my Audio Technica ATML-170 OCC, which I will be sending off for a retip shortly. Its performance seems to sit along side my crisper sounding favourites just as I would also place my Music Maker 3 among the warmer sounding alternative options. I also think that my Astatic MF-100 is very similar to the 170 OCC but just slightly prefer the Audio Technica. If I could accommodate more than 3 cartridge/tonearm combinations at a time, I would not need to shorten my MM shortlist of the Technics, Glanz or ATML-170 OCC down to two. However, I still require space for my final MC alternative option.

Hope something here is helpful