Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Hi All,

The Glanz G5 is still very special (in case there has been any confusion regarding my position), even in the new Audiocraft (MC-A) armwand and "on target" overhang etc. A case in point would be a direct comparison between it and the Astatic MF100 when dealing with high frequencies. A simple test is to play Verdi's 'Vedi! Le fosche notturne' (Anvil Chorus) on both cartridges and distinguish the sound of the anvil as reproduced on both.

I'm awaiting my G7 but would emphasize that I do not want anyone to be put off trying the G5 by misunderstanding anything that I have recently written in this thread: if the opportunity to buy or borrow one presents itself. In my system and for my criteria - it remains a convincing, engaging and beguiling tool for musical reproduction of the highest calibre!

I hope the statistics make my G7 even more convincing. Time will tell!!
Hi All,

If the data on the Cartridge database is correct, the performance parameters of the G5 would appear to exceed those of the G7 and MFG-71 range (I do not possess historical data and so use the atemporal term "range" here rather than "series", which implies some temporal progression).

Some will remember that this thread was initiated to find out more about this particular gem and to discover why the G3 and G5 do not appear in the same brochures as the G1, G7 and MFG range. Could those two come from a different period and, if so, are there any notable production and performance characteristics?

Any real knowledge would still be hugely appreciated
Hi All,

Just a return to the issue of set up on the G5. I should point out that there appears to be a reason behind my initial findings for the plug-and-play nature and ease of set up. I must also clarify that I receive a far better sound when the cartridge is placed in the AP-300s armwand than my longer MC-A armwand. Apart from shouts of "distortion", could there be any reason for this perception? Well, not unlike the experience of one of the posters here, there might have been an happy coincidence of set up.

I was recently reading literature for the Nagaoka MP50 cartridge and found that they also recommended the MP50H as their top model due to the use of their integrated and specially resonance matched headshell:

"One of the special features of the MP-50H and MP-30H lies with the magnesium alloy headshell."

Interestingly, when it comes to the issue of set up, Nagaoka, Japan state that:

"Adjust the overhang to proper length to minimize distortion. (At present the cartridge is fixed at a position in which h in figure 1 measures 50mm. This matches the overhang in most tonearms.)"

When I first set my Glanz G5 up (which, as I noted earlier, has the same 50mm length), I was removing my Nagaoka MP50 from my Audiocraft AC3300 tonearm still bearing the AP300S armwand. Obviously, mounting distance remained the same for the tonearm. Surprisingly though, the VTA of the Glanz also seemed best in the exact same position as the MP50 had just occupied, requiring no adjustment (although I was using my MP50 with a 2-3mm elevation at pivot). This left only the VTF to be adjusted to 1.5g. The result in this set up is the reason that I advocate others to try it out and referred to the plug-and-play nature of my experience with this gem. I can therefore only refer to my consistent argument that this G5 is a great cartridge.

I hope that gives real clarity and less controversy

Ejoy
Hi All,

It appears that the Glanz, particluarly my G-7 has some common roots with the Astatic MF range as had been suggested earlier in this thread. However, there are clear differences, which might explain some of the clear sonic differences in performance. A couple of references on Japanese sites provide the following detail:

"Mitachi Onkyo Seisakusho (brand name "GLANZ"),

Pickup cartridge called as "Moving Flux"(see also 4011417). Unique construction having merit of MM/IM/MC. Also see Design patent D266504(1982) assigned to The Astatic Corporation (cartridge model MF200). Also 4123067 about unique stylus pivot suspension (embodied in model G-7 cartridge), 1978"

"New type MM cartridge (coils fixed to the end of yoke) looking like mixture of MM, IM and MC, 1977"

I hope that is helpful/interesting to others as well as myself. My G-7 is on its way as I write: can't deny my excitement!!!

Cheers
Hi All,

Well at long last, I now possess my Glanz G7. It will be some time before I test or report on it as it needs a suitable tonearm, which I do not currently possess. I have identified what seems to be the best option and will be keeping an eye out for one going at a reasonable price. I suspect this exercise might be necessary to maximise the potential of both my G7 and G5 cartridges but will report when I am certain.

In the meantime, I have acquired various rated MM/MI cartridges and will be testing these.