Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Anyone interested in a decent cartridge who cannot get hold of a GLanz, might be interested in this: http://cgi.ebay.com/High-End-MI-Cartridge-EMPIRE-1000GT-NOS_W0QQitemZ190343705632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c515e7420

Good luck
Many expert threads run on other sites and one that might be useful in considering issues of capacitance and cartridge loading is: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6674

I hope this leads to offering some help
I just lost out on a bid for a Glanz G7. Believe it or not, I fell to sleep and missed being outbid at the close of the auction (it closed at 3:55am local time). I feel physically sick over this. The struggle continues - with slightly less happiness at this particular moment:~(
I have been testing the Glanz G5 extensively and I've grown more impressed with each comparison that it has undergone in relation to other renowned cartridges.

A curiousity around its stellar performance is the fact that I use mine in my Audiocraft AC3300 tonearm with the s-shaped wand. This means that overhang and off-set are way off the standard and, obviously, cannot be adjusted in their permanent headshell. Nevertheless, the Glanz outperforms everything that has been reviewed in comparison to it. This finding being based on my own criteria of assessment and reference to specific live performances at familiar venues. Simply phenomenal but difficult to find!!!

If the Glanz G7 is indeed an improvement on my G5, my mind is literally boggled. I should suggest that although the G7 claims better performance parameters statistically, you need always to be careful in following these as the sign of a better cartridge. Similarly, one needs to be careful in accepting a manufacturer's necessarily claimed hierachy of its products. These often fall back on a parameter of improved statistical behaviour, with prices and performance being seen as increasing year-on-year. Only careful auditioning will tell the true tale (a case in point here being the ADC XLM range).

If you get the chance and love live music (and your system is generally up to it), the Glanz G5 cartridge simply demands your attention.
Dear Dgob: +++++ " his means that overhang and off-set are way off the standard and, obviously, cannot be adjusted in their permanent headshell. " +++++

now I can see why a similar cartridge design than the Astatic MF line could sounds different and especially when the G-5 is not the top of the line.

I had, at least, two similar experiences with two cartridges ( FR-702 and Nagatron 350E. ) where ( by " accident ". ) the overhang and offset cartridge set up were way off.
In both cases ( and not over the full frequency range. ) I was really happy for what I was hearing ( especially on treble. ) that I never heard it with any other cartridge at that top quality performance.
I heard the FR-702 for more than two weeks and I was so " happy/satisfied " that I did not aware of what was happening and was unaware of the " problems " in the other frequency ranges but after that time to hearing one day I take in count that something was wrong with what I was hearing and then check the cartridge set-up and take in count the " wrong " set-up ( with the Nagatron it take me 4 days to be aware on that wrong set-up. ) and made the cartridge set-up according the " rules ".
At the beguining I feel that I was missing something ( that treble especial performance. ) but after two-three hours everything comes in place and for the better.

What happen when we have a cartridge set-up out of target ( way off. )? the distortions ( every kind )/tracking error ( between other things. ) goes up and that's what you are hearing.
Some of those distortions could gives to the cartridge performance more " transparency "/better higs/extended/etc but are only distortions not music on the recording.
In your cartridge sample an additional source of distortion are the internal cartridge headshell wires.

That you like those higher distortions against other lower distortion cartridges performance is IMHO not the subject, you have the right to like or dislike what ever you want.

Of course that this is only an opinion with foundation on similar experiences.

Anyway, the important subject is what you think because is you who have to live with that kind of " distortions " and if you like it then go a head.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.