Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Todd,

Many thanks. I saw this but am very dubious about it.

All,

In fact, I have already seen all of these pieces (for which I am truly grateful) and this only heightened my curiousity.

The claim that Glanz is German would seem to be substantiated by the name of the range: "glanz". However, the pieces from Vinylengine and the cartridge data base make explicit claims about it being a Japanese product. Maybe the Astatic link would be the answer (meaning, Japanese made under/for a German owned company).

Raul,

They are all cited as being moving magnets. Even the Japanese retailer from whom I bought mine has them down as Japanese made moving magnets. What makes you think they are moving flux (or, excuse my unabashed technical ignorance but, are they the same thing?)?

Please keep an eye out and if anything further can be found out (maybe by a former owner), it would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks
Hi All,

I just had another thought. The G5 and G3 cartridges are not noted in the French review of the Glanz range. Could these products be later, German productions?

I'm dubious about that argument though, if only due to the serialisation of the range. Would Glanz (Japan) make a G1 and G7 skipping the G3 and G5 for these latter two to be subsequently produced (German)? I doubt it and believe they are all the same manufacturer (even if only German 'owned'). However, you can see my confusion and need for clarification!

Again, any help really appreciated

Many thanks in hope and anticipation
Glanz are a moving flux design I will dig out the little brochure I have when I find it tomorrow. What I remember is they sounded pretty damn good for the money. I owned a MFG 71S and it rocked. I found a MFG 71E with a busted cantilever and I keep it just in case I find a replacement somewhere. Replacement stylus/Cantilever on these just snap into place. My front of house is worth $55,000 so that should be recommendation enough. Cheers
Dear Dgob: You have to re-read the Vinylengine paper about.

That someone say its " German " could not means is made in germany, in those times almost all cartridges was made in Japan ( OEM too. ). Btw, what difference can make if was made in Germany or Japan?

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Thrmonicavenger,

Many thanks for this. Do you know about any difference in sound and performance between the MFG line and the G line? Also, do you recall how the two lines were esteemed at that time?

Raul,

Again, many thanks. I think that is correct and would tie in with my above suggestion about producer/owner distinction. I respect the technological fervour of both Japanese and German engineering. The word "precision" can hardly be used without these two nations springing to mind.

No, my interest is in knowing the tool that I am about to use. Ultimately, I'd hope to be in dialogue with users who can advise and recommend on issues such as tonearm matching, general set up and performance characteristics.

In the meantime,knowing the history of its production and its standing within its line and time is an interesting part of this learning experience. I am amazing grateful for all contributions and any scap of informaion would stil be welcome.

Thanks all