Alignment tool for SME V + Shelter

I've always relied on DB Protractor through multiple tonearm iterations, but was wondering if I could seek a recommendation from the board on a more accurate tool.

Setup is currently an SME V with Shelter 90x (which I believe has an IEC compliance stylus tip to mounting point?), but am getting a smidgen of sibilance on some inner tracks. I know that the Shelters aren't killer trackers, but I'm sure I could do better.

Am considering a MINT LP or Feickert.

Thanks in advance.
128x128pureretro
Dear all,Assuming that the protractor problem is solved what about an accurate aid to measure the spindle-pivot
distance (spindel-dimensions included)?

Regards,
That's the point! With an arc-style protractor made for the table/arm combo, there is no need to measure P2S. If you hit the arc, you have the dimensions set. So just finish up with the cart alignment.
Nandric, in all alignment procedures (except the SME) it's mandatory that a prescribed stylus-to-pivot distance (sometimes called 'Effective Arm Length') be maintained (thus necessitating slotted headshells ;-)

Further, a fixed arm length requires a specific (for that tonearm) spindle to pivot distance, and most tonearms come with an appropriate (though not always well crafted) template. If the one you got is sloppy, or non-existant, it's best to make your own out of a piece of acrylic. Slip one end over the spindle (with the platter removed) and, through a tiny hole in the template drilled the correct distance from the center of the spindle, scribe or draw an arc on the arm board. You can drill the arm mounting hole(s) anywhere along that arc.

Dan asserts that "With an arc-style protractor made for the table/arm combo, there is no need to measure P2S" (I think he meant cartridge/arm combo,) but unfortunately, this is true only if the arm mounting holes have been drilled, and the arm mounted with utmost accuracy, the correct distance from the spindle, per the tonearm manufacturer's specs. In reality, that is REALLY HARD TO DO without proper shop tools, drill press, etc.) If there's any doubt (and even if your TT came with the TA mounted) it's best to field-measure your particular equipment setup and provide the actual P2S dimension to the toolmaker prior to fabrication ;-)
Table/arm. P2s and effective length are not dependent on the cartridge used.

Setting P2S is the responsibility of whoever mounted your arm, quite possibly the 'table manufacturer. So, yes, I can see the need to measure this ONCE when having a protractor made up because you can't really trust that the arm is mounted exactly right.

But then again, this is the beauty of articulating arm boards. You don't have one on your table? Sorry. ;-)

We've, well those who have been paying attention, covered all of this several times before. A search here will turn up past discussions on this. Bye.
Dear Dan, If this is the answer to my question then we have
the problem that one can move the arm in relation to the spindle-pivot distance as well as move the cart in relation to the 'slots' on the heashell. With 2 moving dimensiona I am not sure about the result.BTW the slots are
to provide for the distance between the stylus-tip and the fastening bolts because this distance differ by carts.Or so
I thought. I am not a technical guy but I know that the spindle-pivot distance is fundamental.
Regards,