Alignment tool for SME V + Shelter

I've always relied on DB Protractor through multiple tonearm iterations, but was wondering if I could seek a recommendation from the board on a more accurate tool.

Setup is currently an SME V with Shelter 90x (which I believe has an IEC compliance stylus tip to mounting point?), but am getting a smidgen of sibilance on some inner tracks. I know that the Shelters aren't killer trackers, but I'm sure I could do better.

Am considering a MINT LP or Feickert.

Thanks in advance.
128x128pureretro
The SME V has a sliding base in order to provide for proper stylus overhang adjustment without the necessity of slotted headshell mounting holes. The SME V design philosophy is to have a completely rigid tonearm wand (which is also the reason the headshell cannot be rotated for azimuth adjustment.)

Supposedly, the SME V alignment templates provide for obtaining the proper stylus overhang, but I find them inexact (to say the least!) It's much easier to use a small thin metal millimeter scale placed carefully on the spindle with the other end supported on a rubber eraser or some such. Then with the anti-skating OFF, it's easy to set the stylus on the metal scale and rack the tonearm base back and forth to achieve precise stylus overhang right at the spindle.

After that it's relatively easy to use a DB or other protractor to adjust the cartridge parallel to the protractor gridlines at two points.
Hi all,To use DerTonarm metaphor:'you think your stylus is in New York but your stylus is actualy in Washington'.
According to Yip (Mint LP)spindle diameter varies from 6,9 to 7,3 mm.BTW he asks 2 digit accuracy by the measurement:
7,16mm.
So 'exit universal protractors'?. I.e. if the premise is true.
Regards,
Nsgarch,
the SME sliding base will provide overhang adjustment - but the effective length of the arm is fixed depending on the stylus to mounting distance of the particular cartridge. The base moves the whole arm, it can't adjust the length.

The stylus to mounting distance of cartridges can vary by several mm, meaning that the arc made by the stylus will differ slightly. Mint-LP tractors are made for a specific effective length (hence fixed arc).

A variation in effective length of the SME (by using a cartridge with different stylus/mounting distance) could make it impossible to align the outer points of the arc printed on the MintLp tractor. I'm not sure what the sonic consequences of this would be, but alignment accuracy would be compromised.
BTW, I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone wants to jump in(?).
Nobes, I understand your point, although I think "several mm" variation may be an exaggeration, especially with today's cartridges.

I'm not familiar with the use of the Mint alignment tool. However, I do know that a DB protractor gives accurate two-point tangency results so long as the stylus overhang is accurately adjusted for the tonearm being used. Small variations in stylus-to-pivot distance are apparently of far less consequence than an accurate (optimum) overhang setting. This is further illustrated by the fact that DB provides/allows a 6mm range of effective arm lengths in each of eight groups of arm lengths to which optimum overhang figures are attached.
That is a lot of "accurates" attributed to the DB, which at best gives a close approximation of what will playback vinyl. :-)

You can easily hear the difference between 1/2 mm off and being even less, off.