Ortofon Windfeld - anyone heard one?

Wondering if anyone owns or has heard the Windfeld.

I own the SPU Royal and it sounds gloriously musical.

Used to own Jubilee and never really got into it.
downunder
Hi Downunder,
yes I have heard it, I own one -- alas it is in with Ortofon for check-up/repair right now.

I had a thread on it, inquiring about its INDUCTANCE (not impedance). Ortofon does not measure this, they say.
I used to run it with an SUT also (FR XF-1), which prompted the inductance question due to primary trannie loading used.

Back to the sound, I would like to know what arm you will use with it. I had mine mounted in a SME V on a SME 10 'table.

Since you say you are using an SPU Royal, and have not mentioned "N", are you using a "G" head-shell Royal, not the one that goes into a 'normal' head-shell?
That would also mean a bayonet head-shell type arm i.e. more on the heavy side of it like SME 3009 or 3012?

The Windfeld with >13g mass is about a heavy as a medium weight arm (10 -11g mass SME V) will be fine with. There is a heavier weight for a lot of arms (also SME V) but I'm not sure that's always such a good idea.

The PW will sound more 'refined' than the Jubilee and a lot of other MC carts. It has a more 'balanced' sound -- not as 'jumped up' as some MCs can get. That's because of the damping system used.
It's not a 'lose cannon' or 'run away train' in the treble. For that reason it also prefers less loading (higher resistor value) 500 to 1k ohm and even no loading going into 47k is an option (YMMV).

This will give you some idea, and if you have more specific questions please ask.
Greetings,
Axel
I couldn't be happier with my PW! I owned the Jubilee and find it hard to believe that you "didn't get into it". Is it possible that the Jubilee was not fully broken in? The PW does indeed improve on the Jubilee but I also found the Jubilee to be a very musical cartridge ... the PW does most things better and bigger! I'm using a Graham Phantom II with a "K&K maxxed out" version phonostage with the upgraded transformer. Hope that helps ...
I have the Windfeld in my current analog rig (Merrill-Scillia MS21, Tri-Planar arm, custom phono stage). The sound is the best I have had. I also had the SPU Synergy and the Jubilee in the same system.

I would characterize their relative sonic personalities as follows:
- SPU Synergy: full body, warm, weighty, not quite a nimble and light, kind of like Angelina Jolie.
- Jubilee: lighter, more detailed, more ethereal, more air, not as weighty as the SPU, kind of like Katie Holmes.
- Windfeld: more refined than the other 2, more balanced (not tipped toward highs or lows), more timber-accurate (musical instruments sound real), more accurate soundstage presentation, kind of like Catherine Zeta-Jones.

As Michael Fremer said, the Windfeld does not have any obvious flaws. The best way to describe it is very balanced. But if you prefer the sound of the SPU then it may sound light weight to you.

You will need a good phono stage to get the most out of the Windfeld, but it is definitely the best I have heard in ANY system. For my taste anyway.
Which one you like will depend on if you are like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, or Michael Douglas. :-)
Thanks for the great analogy Vtvu! I have been using a Jubilee for about 2 years now and love it! I will probably get another one or upgrade to the Windfeld when the time comes.
I agree 100% with what Talor514 states about the Jubilee. I used it with a JMW9,Jelco 250st, and an SME 345. It sounded great with all three. I sold it to fund a Koetsu Black, which is also great. Maybe I'm easy to please.