Fidelity Research cartridges

Any FR cartridge experts out there? Raul? Dertonarm? Syntax?
I have had an FR-7 which I bought a while ago. I tried it ever so briefly when I got it on an arm I now recognize as not being able to handle that weight (close, but no cigar). I just now pulled it out for kicks and after getting it adjusted with the big counterweight, I am VERY pleasantly surprised. Actually, I'm feeling kind of bubbly. It does not dig out the utmost in detail, but it just sounds very right.

Are there any other FR carts out there which are real steals if still in good condition? I know the MC-702 and the FR-1Mk2 and Mk3f by name, with good reps being assigned to the Mk3 and the MC-702. Given that the MC-702 and the FR-7 look quite similar, and they were offered at about the same time, what is different? And is the FR-7 just an integrated headshell version of the FR-1Mk3?
t_bone
Hello T_Bone, when you use a FR-7f then you are on the right track already. It is a very good System. The FR-7fz is not the last version (even when the "z" suggests that), it is a 7 series with a higher output, 0,25mV (easier for a lot of Phonostages, the other ones are below 0.2mV), 5 ohm Impedance, 7x10(-6) Dyne and is like all from this series a blind buy when you can get it. When you want to see the body, go to my System, there is a pic :-)
It has an interesting History, in Japan there a specially selected 7f* units made, too, custom order with specs you can even dream on 30 years later. I listened to one of those, it was the first time where I thought the description "You will eat your heart out" hit me. Unfortunately too rare to start a discussion about that, but I am absolutely sure, when a manufacturer today would build such cartridges again (with different optics) and the Hype which is made for average units today, it would be a revolution.
The FR-7fz is really great, what else did I expect? it is very dynamical but also transporting warmth and detail. T-Bone sorry for the auction on the flywheel. Try again, it is worth. I am just driving the brother of your blue star with a HS-80 now. Does anybody have a FR-7fc and will report on it? Thanks
Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Fidelity Research MCX-5 cartridge. There is a seller of this cartridge and he claims that this is similar to the FR7 but without the integrated headshell. Can anyone shed some light on this subject??

Rgds
Hi Ddriveman, the MCX-5 has nothing to do with the FR-7 series cartridges.
Not in terms of construction/design - nor in terms of sonic virtues.
This is however often claimed to be the case by sellers to get a higher price for their MCX-5 or MC-201/202.
The only other cartridge of the FR-line up worth getting and mentioning is the FR-1 MK3 F.
The MCX5 was in part designed by Ozawa-san who started Shelter in the mid 1980s after spending a few years at Fidelity Research. It came out (with the MCX3) many years after the FR-7 series and was designed for use with the XG-5 and XG-7 transformers. As far as I know, as Dertonarm suggested, it is not anything like the FR-7.

Jcarr above recommended the FR PMC3 as worth a listen. They are not easy to find.