Fidelity Research cartridges

Any FR cartridge experts out there? Raul? Dertonarm? Syntax?
I have had an FR-7 which I bought a while ago. I tried it ever so briefly when I got it on an arm I now recognize as not being able to handle that weight (close, but no cigar). I just now pulled it out for kicks and after getting it adjusted with the big counterweight, I am VERY pleasantly surprised. Actually, I'm feeling kind of bubbly. It does not dig out the utmost in detail, but it just sounds very right.

Are there any other FR carts out there which are real steals if still in good condition? I know the MC-702 and the FR-1Mk2 and Mk3f by name, with good reps being assigned to the Mk3 and the MC-702. Given that the MC-702 and the FR-7 look quite similar, and they were offered at about the same time, what is different? And is the FR-7 just an integrated headshell version of the FR-1Mk3?
t_bone
Well, the Fr-702 is a interesting cartridge, when you are looking for the real special, grab a FR-7f when it is available.
Use the alternative Distance from pivot/spindle described in the "big thread"

You are on the right track with your opinion, it has a special kind of "Physical Presence" which is rare to get.

Happy listening
Thanks Syntax. Which 'Big Thread' is that? Based on the FR-7's performance, I will try to grab an FR-7f if I see one. Any idea how any of them are different from each other? The only explanations I have seen have been quite generic for each (taken from the original catalogs) and don't say much about the differences (and also show no specs to differentiate that way).

My understanding is that the FR-7 was introduced in 1978, but my understanding is that the FR-1Mk3 and the MC-702 were in the line-up later, and all three were in the catalog sometime around 1980.
Dear T bone: Yes, you are right the FR-7 was introduced in 1978 for 55K Yens, then the FR-7f for 77K Yens and the FR-7f/c for 100K yens and the latest FR-7fz for 80K Yens. With differences on stylus shape and output level.

I owned the 7fz and own the 702 which is very good performer specially on the Micro Seiki MAX, I try it through the Ikeda 407 and FR-66 but I prefer the MS MAX.

The FR-1MK3 ( that I owned too ) was in a different quality performance down level ( some people think that the FR-7 comes from it, I don't because its performance level was/is different. ), even its price was way down of the FR-7/702: 30K Yens.

Like Syntax posted: if you find a 702 or a FR-7fz go a head because are more refined ones and have all the detail recovery that comes in the recording.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.