Clearaudio RCM good alternative to VPI?

I've owned two VPI record-cleaning machines, first a HW-17 (stolen), and now a HW-16.5. While I've always been happy with their performance cleaning records . . . I've always thought the build quality was really cheesy on both machines . . . with the 16.5 I had to reglue one of the dustcover support blocks and reassemble the switch plate (fasteners loosened and fell off during transport) immediately after taking it out of the box brand new. Also, both machines became somewhat moisture damaged (warping enclosure) very easily.

This didn't bother me too much because I'm a cheapskate about some things, and the VPI machines don't cost too much. But I have a friend who's asking for an RCM recommendation and he definately has the money and appreciation for better build quality . . . so I'm thinking about steering him toward a Clearaudio machine as something that's fundamentally the same in its operation, but with better build quality.

I would appreciate any feedback on the matter - but neither of us are patient enough for a Loricraft/Monks machine, so I think that a traditional "tube with lips" design is what he's after.
kirkus
I bought a Clear Audio Smart Matrix RCM about two weeks ago and feel very happy about it: well constructed, solid, not so noisy as I could have expected and, most important of all, produced miracles on LPs I bought on thrift stores.
Koegz: can you tell us what you did not like about the Loricraft.
Very curious.
Jean.
the loricraft cleaned ok, but the string constantly binded up and it took for ever to do one side. i had the more expensive top of the line at the time, it was very quiet, but that was it's only strong suit. now the double matrix is lighning fast and does both sides at the same time and cleans great(fantastic), and is easy to use steam on as well. it is a little noisy for a few seconds, but not like the vpi models. it is a pleasure to use, i no longer mind cleaning records. the clearaudio is also built like a tank and in my opinion much better looking then the loricraft(with that fake cheesy look like wood look) as well. IF YOU PREFERR TO MAKE A PRODJECT OUT OF CLEANING RECORDS THEN THE LORICRAFT IS YOUR RCM. IF YOU JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO CLEAN VINYL THEN THE DOUBLE MATRIC IS YOUR RCM! YOUR CHOICE.
Sorry to say but the Lori and Monks clean better and are more silent than CDM.
My friend that sales both confirms this and I tryed also both. This is due to the complete different approach of succion. I do like more the looks of Lori in black. Perso here. Anyway before buying an RCM one should try many models with very dirty records. If I had to make my own DIY RCM on the cheap I would go definitely the Lori/Monks pathway.
Best, Jean.
everyone has their own opinions. i have tried or owned them all. i really do not have any interest in what your friend said. take my opinion or leave it. all i know is i put my money where my mouth is and i will never go back. the double matrix, to date, is the best tweak(RCM) there is! believe what you will, but enjoy what you have.