Clearaudio RCM good alternative to VPI?

I've owned two VPI record-cleaning machines, first a HW-17 (stolen), and now a HW-16.5. While I've always been happy with their performance cleaning records . . . I've always thought the build quality was really cheesy on both machines . . . with the 16.5 I had to reglue one of the dustcover support blocks and reassemble the switch plate (fasteners loosened and fell off during transport) immediately after taking it out of the box brand new. Also, both machines became somewhat moisture damaged (warping enclosure) very easily.

This didn't bother me too much because I'm a cheapskate about some things, and the VPI machines don't cost too much. But I have a friend who's asking for an RCM recommendation and he definately has the money and appreciation for better build quality . . . so I'm thinking about steering him toward a Clearaudio machine as something that's fundamentally the same in its operation, but with better build quality.

I would appreciate any feedback on the matter - but neither of us are patient enough for a Loricraft/Monks machine, so I think that a traditional "tube with lips" design is what he's after.
kirkus
the hannl / acoustech cleaning machines are beautifully built although very pricy. If you are looking at the clearaudio, though you are already in that range, though so you may want to check them out. I am saving for the acoustech limited to replace my utilitarian record doctor.
I'm very happy with my SOTA unit. Affordable, simple, quick and most importantly effective.
Yes, Clearaudio is great. Does its job extremely well. Highly recommend double matrix though. A lot faster cleaning both sides. IMO, Clearaudio also looks the best. Great build quality.
I had similar issues with my VPI 16.5 when new, a missing Lid Stop, which was I was sent a replacement by VPI, and Toggle Switch Knurled Nuts (1) continually coming loose.

Minor issues that are small-minor inconveniences, and are basically easily dealt with. I went and bought a package of Hex Nuts for the Toggle Switches from Rat Shack, solved the loosening nuts, RTV glued on the new Lid Stop, and then later performed the Cooling Fan Mod, and then new Acrylic Platter, and Neoprene Platter Mat.
These mods can be seen at osasge audio's website.

As for the Panel warpage, I think the one most important area that should be given a coat of varnish, thus waterproofing this area, would be the drilled hole underneath the Vacuum Tower Assembly. Three Phillips Screws, remove Vacuum Tower Assembly, coat this area, let dry, and then re-assemble. The Bottom panel's insides might be another good area to waterproof, just in case of the possibility of leakage of Recovery Tank (which I never had a problem with)

These are simple common sense fixes, and of course, it has to be one's personal decision with whatever machine they choose to go with for whatever reasons.

The difference in price between the two machines (you mantion), can be used for a considerable amount of high quality cleaning fluids, or other items. Mark