Ohms?

Can some please explain speaker ohms to me? As I understand it a speaker come rated at a particular ohm-lets say 8. I understand the lower the number the more efficent is??? What I am having trouble with is the minimum rating. Does the ohm rating change on a speaker? Help!!!
vongwinner
What is the old analogy? Please correct me if I am wrong. Electricity is like a water faucet. Volts is the resevoir, amps are the amount of water coming out of the faucet, watts is the pressure and ohms is the lever that turns it on to full blast or off and everything inbetween. Is that right? Its been a while.
Close, I will give you an A for your effort. Try this: Voltage is the pressure at which the water is being pushed, current is the amount of water of water and resistance is the size of the pipe. Or maybe I am wrong?? :-)
How about this? Think of your speaker as a Schwinn 10-speed. A 4 ohm speaker is like riding with lower gears- easier effort, but lower speed; an 8 ohm speaker is akin to using taller gears, more effort but higher speed. Thus lower impedance speakers need amps that can pedal _fast_, i.e., high current designs while high impedance speakers that can pedal _hard_ - high voltage amps. Now think of the interconnects as ...