Best cartridge under $100 - vintage Akai TT

I recently acquired a vintage Akai AP-Q80 direct drive TT, fully auto, with a "S" tonearm, standard mount. (My Beogram 4002 crapped out.) It has an ADC Ser-III cart and it just doesn't sound very good. Stylus cantilever looks corroded.
I'm running it into a Proton 1100 pre-amp with nice sounding phono stage for MM or MC.
Cartridges I'm considering:
• Sumiko Pearl
• AT-440MLa
• Ortofon OM-5E, OM-10, OM-20, Red
• Denon DL110 (a little outside my budget)
• Grado - Pick a color

I'll be playing a mix of classical chamber and symphony (CBS Masterworks, digitally remastered), classical guitar. old rock, blues, Dizzy and Miles. (Some are noisy LPs.)

My budget is really at $100, but if I can get something that will do the job at $60... after years as a carpenter, my hearing is not as refined as it used to be. I'm a bit sensitive to upper register harshness.

Any help??
Thanks in advance.
Craig
craig_c
johnnyb53
Thanks for the really good info. I know my Akai TT is not high tech. I'll get some lube for the direct drive.
I'm afraid I don't know what constitutes a "higher mass" tone arm as Celtic66 describes. I wish I was in the medium performance technology, like a $400 Pro-Ject turntable, but I'm a photographer looking to spend $2000 on a large format printer. Audio has to take a back page. I need the best bang for the buck. I hope my TT will perform adequately. I will see if I can spring for the DL-110. I see a seller that offers the cartridge for $101.00. It is a stretch in my budget, but may be worth the investment.

Too bad my Beogram 4002 with the MMC 4000 crapped out.

Thanks,
Craig
When the time comes, for $400, you're still best off getting a new Technics SL1200 or 1210. You can extract a lot of performance from those and there's an aftermarket guy (http://www.kabusa.com that makes an upgrade path for them.

For now, I strongly recommend the 2M Red or DL-110. Don't worry too much about tonearm mass; yours is probably "medium," which will work well with any of the cartridges we've been talking about here.

I get better performance out of my home-tweaked SL1210M5G with KAB tonearm fluid damper than any Beogram ever imagined.
Johnnyb53 - Hey thanks. I really appreciate you good info. The KAB connection is especially helpful. Their website, though so 1993, is full of really great material that is helping me get a better handle on what is happening in the vinyl world.

Craig