Need help setting overhang on the Technics SL-1200

Recently I picked up a Technics SL-1200 and have mounted a Shure M97XE cartridge. I am curious if the white plastic overhang guage that comes with the SL-1200 is truely accurate; my ears seem to tell me the cartridge sounds better moved further out toward the tip of the headshell (presently I have it out as far as it goes). Also I am wondering what the ideal tracking force for the M97 is and how high the rear of the arm should be set for the VTA (between 0mm and 6mm). Your thoughts would be appreciated.
bobgates
Post removed 
Tvad - I have just today set the overhang of the Shure M97 using the Mint Best Tractor and have to agree that the SL-1200 Mk2 now sounds absolutely incredible; I am amazed that I am getting this good kind of sound out of a cartridge that can be purchased brand new for under $100. If you mount the headshell on the Technics SL-1200 white plastic overhang gauge you will see that the tip of the stylus is now 3mm further out. As far as other settings go I have the tracking force set at 1.3 grams and the tonearm height set at 3mm. Thank you Tvad; I appreciate your recommendation to use the Mint Best tractor.
Well I spent the weekend continuing to "push the envelop" with this Shure M97 on the Technics SL-1200. I still wasn't completely satisfied with the VTA and decided to see if the top of cartridge was exactly parallel with the record. I placed the cartridge down on a stationary record and measured the front of the cartridge and the back of the cartridge. The back of the cartridge was lower than the front so I ended up raising the tonearm from 3mm all the way to the 6mm maximum to get the top of the cartridge perfectly level with the playing surface. After listening I have to say this is a definate improvement. Curious if anyone else has tryed this.
Post removed 
I have always used a caliper to check for the perfect arm parallelism over the LP .. this is the best way to have the real paralelism and not a "supposed one"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Suwmiarka_foto.jpg