Need help setting overhang on the Technics SL-1200

Recently I picked up a Technics SL-1200 and have mounted a Shure M97XE cartridge. I am curious if the white plastic overhang guage that comes with the SL-1200 is truely accurate; my ears seem to tell me the cartridge sounds better moved further out toward the tip of the headshell (presently I have it out as far as it goes). Also I am wondering what the ideal tracking force for the M97 is and how high the rear of the arm should be set for the VTA (between 0mm and 6mm). Your thoughts would be appreciated.
bobgates
Post removed 
I just set mine today (1210 with a AT 440mla in a Sumiko headshell) using a similar protractor to the Vinyl Engine Baerwald design. The results are definitely different than you would attain with the overhang jig.

Be prepared to spend some time getting it right. I don't know what the preferred method is, but I roughed in the tracking force and the VTA, then set the cartridge alignment and then fine tuned the tracking force again.
Thanks Ho72. I'll definately keep that in mind if I ever try the AT 440 in a Sumiko headshell.
Riley804 - does the height of the M97 cartridge, 15.875mmm, include the stylus? I measured roughly 18mm on mine with the styles included which would mean that the height of the arm should be set at 3mm if you go by the Technics SL-1200 manual. Also wonder if Technics takes into account the thickness of the record.