My LP couldn't beat my CD, until now

I'm an owner of a new VPI Scoutmaster w/Sumiko Blackbird cart. I, like so many recently, have returned to vinyl after a long time, seeking (as always) the absolute sound.

I'm an 80s kid; a product of the CD revolution. I enjoy my Slim Devices Transporter and all the convenience it delivers. However, I've felt that there's been something missing around music listening, and everyone's talking about analog anyway, so I took the plunge.

Imagine my disappointment when I set up my new 'table, wire it all up, and the first few albums sound flat, a little shrill and generally thin compared to a good rip of the same music off of CD.

I chalk all this up to break-in, to everything in the signal chain from the cartridge to the amp being new and untested. I'm also new at this, and have never set up a tonearm in my life (my goodness, it's a fiddly exercise).

I give it 20 hours of playing time or so, forcibly choosing not to judge. I wait patiently for everything to work in. Still, I find most recordings of everything from Pop & Rock to The Firebird Suite to be palatable and fine listening, but far from the nirvana of naturalness and organic ease everyone says is on LPs.

Well, friends, I think I've had one of those 'holy cow!' moments that come in audiophilia so rarely. A fellow AudiogoNer's recent sale just arrived at my door, and I swapped it in. It's a McCormack Micro Phono Drive, and it's made a tremendous difference in this setup. (I also changed the cable from arm to preamp from Hero to King Cobra for length, but I truly doubt that's what I'm hearing.)

My point in posting all this is to say that I never expected such an assumedly minor part of the signal chain to make such a magnificent difference in the enjoyability of LP listening.

It took a pinched soundstage and made it full-bodied. It took a somewhat shrill and tinny, crackly high end and tamed it. It filled in the bass from 'there' to 'wow'. In short, it completely saved what I thought was a flawed and disappointing attempt at analog.

I was all ready to post a 'LP can't possibly beat CD, so what are you smokin'?' message, but this one, simple thing has changed my mind! 80s kids out there, don't lose hope! there really is something to this LP scene.
forddonald
Yes, welcome ! I remember that I had similar enlightment when I changed my modest NAD PP1 phonostage to Graham Slee Era Gold V with a modest Clearaudio Emotion Turntable. I became so hooked that you can see what happened ( click system ) ! Also so addictive that it is very rare I listen to digital @ home. A new interesting music ? I buy CD and listen in my car, try to find it on LP ! The phonostage is the heart of the analog chain, so no compromise with it. You can have a top flight turntabble/arm/cartridge and only have 50% of the sound quality delivered if the phonostage is not up to the task. Watch for the line stage also, it can degrade the signal. Best is no linestage and direct phono to amp but this is a little difficult at the beguinning to achieve. Very important also is vibration control of the turntable. Wall mounting preferred, makes huge difference.After that cart./arm synergy,and so on,...
Every step is so rewarding that it is really a pure pleasure of a hobby.
I also owned a Micro Phono Drive for a number of years, bought it new, it was a pretty good unit, never had any trouble with it, I did sell it on agon a couple of years back when I upgraded it to a more costly Phono Stage, the Sutherland PhD. who knows, maybe this Unit you have gotten was originally mine?!

Back then, I was using the first version Hi-Output Benz Glider (1.9mv). I'd assume you are using the low gain setting (40db) and the default 47K Ohms loading. This should be just fine for the Blackbird.

I know Steve McCormack makes a upgrade for this Unit, a seperate Outboard Power Supply, but it is quite costly.
His company, sMc, commonly did-does mods on many of thier Units.(amps etc)

Yet, trust me when I tell you, you rig can get even better. Mine did when I switched out the Phono Drive Unit for the Sutherland PhD. Quieter noise floor, and better sound in every way describeable. Cone Footers, a better heavier Platter on my VPI Table, a better Cartridge, Cabling, some other custom mods, and of course last but not least the very high importance of critical set-up of Table-Arm-Cartridge, so that you will squeeze every last bit of performance from what you have.

CD sound can be enjoyable, and as well a bit more convenient, when you'd perhaps rather be doing some other things while listening to music, rather than getting up every so often to flip LPs, but for critical listening, and ultimate enjoyment, I agree, there's still nothing as sweet, and satisfying as analog playback. Enjoy! Mark

First, you should ditch this VPI flimsy creature. Save yourself hundreds and buy classic Technics 1200mk2, which is widely available or look for very good Japanese turntables from '75-'85.
I sold Japanese tables in the 70s including MUCH better tables than the Techinics 1200 such as the DDX 1000. They were no match for the contemporary Japanese belt drives such as the Micro Seki 51 and 91. In turn they are no match for the VPIs. Anyone who thinks the technics is a good table has been asleep since the 60s and has never listened to good MODERN tables. Technics made better tables then than they do now and they were not reckoned the best then. The arm cable VPI sells is very good. You might want to do what I have ; I bought a 4" butchers block from Michigan Maple Block that is 25" x 18" X? Bigger than the table anyway. It was $96 + $25 shipping. I have it on 3 large Mapleshade cones. There are many solutions to vibration control, including wall mounts, but the more you isolate the table the better.