Help me fix my cartridge

This was my first cartridge installation experience and it went very bad. I was installing my new Dynavector 20x on to the tonearm of my Pro-Ject 9.1 by screwing the screws into the threaded holes when I noticed that they were getting tight. I tried the other hole and the same thing occurred, oh oh I thought, better unscrew these screws, they're slightly too big. Then things started to really go bad. The screws inexplicably became very tight as I unscrewed them. I had no choice but to apply more force since the screws were only halfway in and the cart was dangling from the tonearm. Unfortunately the aluminum screw wasn't designed to take that much torque so it broke off in the hole! Darn! I tried to gingerly remove the other one but snap, the other screw broke off also. Man, now I'm screwed I thought. (no pun intended) I have two broken screws stuck in my cart with no way to remove them. I thought I didn't have anything to lose at this point so I tried to drill through them with a tiny drill bit. The first one worked, great, now to do the second one. With great precision I drilled clean through the center of the screw, but now the outer edge of the screw was attached to the threads. So now I can't screw in any screws. Do you have any solutions to removing the remnant of the screw? Can I tap the hole somehow? Right now the cart is attached to the tonearm with one screw but I'm sure two are ideal for the best sound.
mikeyc8
Hi,

Did you have the problem with your existing screws or the ones that came with the cartridge? Dynavector uses a screw that is different than what is typically used for mounting the cartridge. The correct screws should have been supplied with you cartridge.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help or advice once the broken screw is out. Gregg's suggestion should work for you as far as removing the screw goes.

Best wishes and good luck.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC
If you read his post he got both screws drilled out but some screw threads remain in one hole, that's a problem. He can tap it but good luck finding a tap that size, that is why I would mount with a screw and nut even if he has to drill to the next size. You can contact me for help also and I won't try to sell you anything.

Mike
I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. In fact, I don't have anything to sell that would help the situation. However, a small easy-out will probably remove the remainder of the screw. Getting the screw out would be the biggest help. As Gregg mentioned, they normally will have easy-outs at any good auto supply store. If you take the drill bit in they can help find the right size for the job.

Because of the offset of the headpiece it would be very difficult to drill the holes through without hitting the cartridge body below. It would be difficult to get a nut on the bottom or to run a bolt up through the hole.

Getting the rest of the screw out would seem to be the best recourse based on the description of the problem.

Let's focus on trying to help the guy.

Best regards.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC
OK, back to the advertisement free help.
An easy out that size might be hard to find, but I did see a 2.5mm drill and tap. You might even have some 2.5mm screws.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dub/dub371.htm
Thanks Mjglo, do you know if the 2.5mm drill and tap is the right size for the cart?

When I read Jependleton's response I don't think he's trying to sell me anything, he's just trying to help, so please cut the guy some slack.

The reason why this problem arose is because I used to have a Dyna 10X5 and I foolishly thought all Dyna screws were the same size so I used the 10X5 screws. Turns out they are slightly wider. So let this be a warning to others...