Installing a VPI stainless steel ring?

Frustrating to pay $600 and not get one lousy sheet of paper that explains how the thing works.

I expected that it gets intalled directly on the platter and has some sort of locking mechanism that you employ every time you put a new record on.... but apparently I'm wrong. Doesn't seem to sit on the platter very well at all.

Do you actually lower this thing on TOP of an LP?? I'm guessing yes, but would like the peace of mind of knowing for sure before I try it ....

Thanks again. I must have asked 20 noob questions over the past month....
madfloyd
The Lp goes on first, then the ring is directly lowered. I've never had a problem with the rubber bands around the ring either. Regarding costs, they are manufactured by the people who make those doors which seal rooms for Bio-industies. They've got to be perfectly round and perfectly-weighted. American workers make them as well--good for America--but American workers are expensive, too.
In a previous question of yours, my first comment was,

"You should: 1. Not buy anything more."

Ahh well, your $600 purchase shows what my free advice was worth.

I could use $600. I wish I could have visited your setup, and gotten it sounding good. I would have accepted $200.
Hukk
Hi Hukk,

Yeah, it was hard to heed that advice, especially when I noticed that too many records are slightly warped and the needle is jumping up and down.

The ring works wonders in these cases.
But it doesn't address midbass.
Note that 99% of turntable users, including me, do not have a ring. In six years of constant play, I've never needed one.
?

Hukk
I'm not sure I *needed* a ring, either, but I do like the sonic improvements it offers. It's actually worth the extra hassle.

From everything I've been told here, I'm guessing a cartridge change will address my midbass issue, which I will try someday soon.

I'm currently breaking in a phono stage and want to see what effect that has first.