Question concerning the Mint Tractor

I am considering buying the Mint Tractor. When aligning a cartridge with the Mint tractor, would I have to take the thickness of the mirror into consideration by raising the VTA during cartridge alignment?
josephdtorres
To date I have not adjusted VTA to compensate for the thickness of the mirror. Based on Doug Deacon's comments I'm going to measure things up and try with some VTA compensation. Anyway, based on my experience with the MintLp protractor so far I would say that you achieve great results even without doing so.

When using arc tractor, ideally the VTA should be set up exactly as you have it set up with your favorite record. Any discrepancy will add some level of distortion. This is illustrated in the link below.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vdone&1206403705&viewitem&o24
Josephdtorres,

The Mint's thicker than any LP I've seen, including old 230-240g Deccas. Alignment should be accomplished with all parameters as close to actual playing conditions as possible. Why align for any other condition?

This includes VTA, which your JMW provides an easy way to adjust. Why be lazy? Just crank the arm up until the cartidge is sitting at about the same angle as you normally play. Takes all of 2 seconds ...