Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke
Mike,

Let's start over.

Unless you are trying to push against state of the art performance levels, you would likely be better served by a turntable like the Technics 1200 series. That will keep you on the right side of the diminishing returns line. Record playing, more than any other aspect of high end audio, requires a knowledge and experience base or a dealer or friend who has same. Some people are capable of just grabbing the bull by the horns but if you do not feel confident enough to dive in headfirst, you would be better off starting with something preassembled. I'm pretty sure most of us cut our teeth in that way.
Mike, as you alluded in your last post, this thread seems almost to be going in circles. The SL-1200 series and the SP-10 series are similar in that they came from the same manufacturer and are both DD designs, but there are significant differences.

The SL-1200 series was introduced in the '70s as Technics' least expensive quality DD table. It was intended as an audio consumer product. The adoption/demand by mobile DJs in the '80s kept it in production as other models were discontinued and that continues to this day. Several years ago, a company called KAB began developing upgrades for the 1200s for non-DJ use. Their success means that today these tables are considered by many as the best available for under say $1,500 (some might place that figure higher). With or without the KAB mods, the 1200 series requires only the installation of a decent cartridge and you're ready to play music (assuming you already have a phono stage in your receiver or preamp).

The SP-10 series (original 10 with built in power supply and no quartz loc is not considered as desirable, more favored are the Mk 2, Mk 2A, and Mk 3 with outboard power units and quartz loc) was the top of the Technics consumer line. They offer the highest performance but usually require more knowledge in set up, or a good dealer to do it for you. The most recent model was built 20 years ago. As Jack stated, there was the SL-1000 Mk2 which came complete except for a cartridge. However, not many were sold so are harder to find, they tend to be expensive, and some believe a solid wood plinth offers better sonics than the factory Obsidian. Otherwise, as most SP-10 series are found today, the buyer must be prepared to build or have built an appropriate plinth, then select and install the desired tonearm. By the way, Jack's statement that Raul goes without a plinth is not correct. Some sort of plinth is necessary to secure the tonearm at the proper position (a very exacting consideration) and Raul uses a hardwood plinth to attach his table and arm. The difference is that Raul's plinth is a single layer of wood, rather than the multi-layers most owners construct to provide more mass.

So Mike, based on your questions I believe your best option would be to start simpler and purchase a SL-1200 series and discuss upgrades with Kevin at KAB. That may provide everything you are looking for. If, over time you feel you might want something better you could then look for a SP-10 series, or other quality DD table from Denon, Kenwood, Luxman, etc.

To learn more about the Technics models, go here -
http://www.vintagetechnics.info/turntables.htm

To learn more about quality DD tables in general, go here -
http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/index_eng.html

Good luck.
Macrojack, where does Raul put his arm if he does not have a plinth? He has to have a plinth, if nothing else, to hold the arm... As an owner of a Technics Sp 10 mk II I would never even consider trying to use it without a plinth. Either there was a misunderstanding or Raul put his foot in his mouth again!

Mike, the advice to get something that is already 'put together' is solid. There are a lot of details to setting up a front end rig, and if you are not well versed in the process or friendly with someone who is, you will hate vinyl before you ever really get to hear it. Do you have access to some level of expertise?

O

o

Dear Nrchy, (I start with the courtesy that Raul unfailingly exhibits in his communications and which you did not accord Raul in your post above.) You might want to re-read Pryso's post just above yours. If you do you will learn that Raul has his SP10 "mounted" in a single piece of plywood that is only large enough to provide real estate for mounting his tonearm. To add some further description, the motor section of his SP10 rests directly on some Audio Technika feet, so there is no contact between the plywood and the shelf upon which the tt sits. I think it is fair to say this is a no-plinth set-up. In another thread, Raul reported that this set-up was far superior to a heavy "marble" plinth that he used previously. You and I may argue that marble is not ideal for a plinth, but it IS likely to be heavy. The key to Raul's success in this set-up might be the coupling of the motor housing to the shelf via the feet he uses. Anyway, I've never known Raul to stick his foot in his mouth; for me his feet are always planted firmly on the ground, from which position he is not vulnerable to fads, like huge wooden or slate plinths, unless they really work.
I'm with Lewm.
My dictionary defines plinth as a base. As such I do not think Raul's arrangement can be seen as a plinth since it doesn't support the table. Rather it serves as an armboard carried by the motor assenbly. And the motor assembly rests on three AT 616 shock absorbers. No plinth.

So Nrchy, you might want to string some floss between your toes so you can clean your teeth while your foot's in there.