Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke
Mike,

Technics created a complete turntable system around the SP-10 which they called the SL-1000 MK II. It includes a custom base made of a black glasslike material they call obsidian, a hinged dustcover and the EPA 100 tonearm. And, of course, the outboard power supply. Assembly is a very simple matter and calibration is easier than with many arms. These are rare but very high performance. Expect to pay between $2500 and $4000 for the whole deal. If you can buy locally, that is preferable. Trusting anybody to ship a turntable is a gamble.
Thanks Jack.
I have seen that SL-1000 on a website when I was doing my search about this table. Shipping, I would imagine, would be a gamble. So if I find a sp10, that comes with an arm and the power supply, I need a base to put it on? I just can't put it on my Grand Prix rack? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Thanks again for all the feedback
Mike,

The platter and motor are both part of a single assembly. Raul claims better performance without any plinth and I believe it given his history and credibility. The only complication involved in that approach lies in finding a way to mount your tonearm. If you are not handy at all - like me - you might have a problem with that.

I don't know where you are presently in the great audiophile continuum, but you might find more than adequate performance in an all-in-one DD setup. Just be sure to appropriate a very high end Japanese model and you will be fine as long as the unit has been well cared for.

Does anyone have experience with the Luxman PD-441?
So, if I find one with a tone arm already installed, like an EPA100, then it is safe to say that it is ready to go as is? Thanks again if it seems like you have to answer the same question over and over again.
As far as where I am on the continum, I am now on the dual path of making what I have sound the best it can and looking to get a TT.
Mike,

Let's start over.

Unless you are trying to push against state of the art performance levels, you would likely be better served by a turntable like the Technics 1200 series. That will keep you on the right side of the diminishing returns line. Record playing, more than any other aspect of high end audio, requires a knowledge and experience base or a dealer or friend who has same. Some people are capable of just grabbing the bull by the horns but if you do not feel confident enough to dive in headfirst, you would be better off starting with something preassembled. I'm pretty sure most of us cut our teeth in that way.