Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke
It seems like it is a great table. Once I get my room treatments and I have my funds in order, I will see what I can do. The only thing is I need one that is ready to go or almost ready to go. I don't have the skills to work on my system myself. But, I will be looking.
Mike,

Technics created a complete turntable system around the SP-10 which they called the SL-1000 MK II. It includes a custom base made of a black glasslike material they call obsidian, a hinged dustcover and the EPA 100 tonearm. And, of course, the outboard power supply. Assembly is a very simple matter and calibration is easier than with many arms. These are rare but very high performance. Expect to pay between $2500 and $4000 for the whole deal. If you can buy locally, that is preferable. Trusting anybody to ship a turntable is a gamble.
Thanks Jack.
I have seen that SL-1000 on a website when I was doing my search about this table. Shipping, I would imagine, would be a gamble. So if I find a sp10, that comes with an arm and the power supply, I need a base to put it on? I just can't put it on my Grand Prix rack? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Thanks again for all the feedback
Mike,

The platter and motor are both part of a single assembly. Raul claims better performance without any plinth and I believe it given his history and credibility. The only complication involved in that approach lies in finding a way to mount your tonearm. If you are not handy at all - like me - you might have a problem with that.

I don't know where you are presently in the great audiophile continuum, but you might find more than adequate performance in an all-in-one DD setup. Just be sure to appropriate a very high end Japanese model and you will be fine as long as the unit has been well cared for.

Does anyone have experience with the Luxman PD-441?