Technics sp10 mrk2 or SL-1200mrkII

Hello. I am interested in getting a TT. I have not had one in quite some time. In talking with someone whom I respect, I was pointed in the direction of the sp10 mrk2. A friend of mine has an SL-1200mrkII. I know that I can get that from him without any issue. I also know that they are both direct drive tables. Is the sp10, leaps and bounds ahead of the 1200?
Thanks for any thoughts.
mikeduke
Both require custom work to sound best..

The SL1200 will have to be modified to compete with the SP10mk2... look at the KAB mods including the external powersupply, isoplat mat with a herbies on top since the SP10 has a more damped platter, and the damping tray for the arm.

The SP10mk2 will have to have base built for it..so if you run it stock it won't sound very good either... Plus you need an arm for it.

Also the other risk of the SP10mk2 is they have been bid up in price because of the popularity, and most don't get shipped with the platter stabilizer (piece of metal that screws down the platter to the chassis to prevent killing the bearings (which can't be repaired))... There are no repair parts unless you buy pieces from other broken units. Strobe light will probably be broken FYI.

If you aren't going to rewire the SL1200's arm you should buy a SL1210M5G which has upgraded wiring otherwise you can have your arm sent to KAB to have it Cardas wired.
Thanks for the reply. In my research I saw that KAB site. I would be willing to mod it. Like I said, I may be able to get a great deal on a 1200 so I don't mind putting a little extra into getting it to sound as good as it can. Thanks again for the input.
A virtually unused (they claimed) limited edition (3000 pieces) Gold Technics 1200 just sold on ebay for $500. That's a great price on a table that can only rise in value over the years and less than what it sold for new. Another one on ebay sold for over $1200 just last week so there are good deals if you look.
The SP-10MKII is a better table in my opinion than the 1200. I have had both and now own an SP-10MIII. But the 1200 is a very good player in it's own right and does have the ability to adjust VTA while playing a record as well as being complete.
Thanks everyone. I think I might try and get a SP10MKII down the line. I am sure they will pop up every now and then. I have this philosophy of trying to limit regret. It's tough with this hobby, but I have done pretty good so far. If the 10 is a better table then that is the one I will get.