vintage turntables?

i dont know, but vintage technics, jvc, and pioneer are the only decks ive had experience with, but they have a special appeal to me. it seems to me that theres all these super fancy turntables out there, and im sure they sound really great, but things like funk firm, the pro-ject rpm aren't the same to me. they're not what i picture a turntable to be. anyone else out there feel the same way? i think what it comes down to is the look. maybe i'm just crazy, i dont know. haha
128x128chuckelator
it seems like most of what the 'bay has to offer in the turntable category is pretty much what i'm looking for. its either someone who doesnt know what they have selling it really cheap, or someeone over charging it seems...regardless they over charge for shipping...haha
The high end vintage Japanese turntables were statement products which came from huge companies with vertical integration and economy of scale that today's turntable manufacturers can't even dream about. There was a huge R&D budget subsidized by the sale of tens of thousands of mass market siblings. I have a Technics SP-10 with the EPA-100 tonearm. If that were developed, manufactured and marketed by a current company, you could expect a price well over $20K.

Use simple logic and disregard reviewers. Your dollar will go much further.
yeah, Macrojack, thats actually how i figured it would work cost wise. then you also had the fact that everyone was using a turntable back in those days, where as, these days, not so much. supply and demand type situation
Here is a good source of info and a good review back at the peak of the era:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/MISCELLANEOUS/SS1980TT/SS1980TT.html

Excellent history along with photos and ads.
Dear James: Interesting link about. I read it and see that on some of those TT they use different tonearms and cartridges and not always the same ones.

One thing that is a surprise to me is the SP-10 rating ( quality performance ) where them rate: 3 and 3 against the top ones that achieve 5 and 5: EMT, Micro Seiki RX-5000 and Pioneer Exclusive.

From al these TTs I have in deep experience with all but the Pioneer and I agree with the EMT and MS rating quality performance but IMHO the SP-10 is ( at least ) in the same league.
I'm using it right now with out plynth and its performance is just first rate, perhaps the SP-10 does not performs so well with its own base and arm board, I can't say for sure because I experienced it in that configuration too many years ago.

Now, in some ways I agree that too much of the today very high price top TT resides in its looking more than in its real quality performance against that very high price and against vintage TTs like the SP-10 MK2/3, Micro Seiki or Denons. But that could be because of what Macro jack posted about and where I agree.

About Technics 12xx IMHO I think that it is worth the effort ( a lot lot better ) to find a SP-10MK2 that to invest on the 12xx with its up-grades for almost the same final price or very near: not something totally different about price and of course with the advantage with the SP 10 that you can choose the right tonearm for your cartridge (s ).

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.