Loricraft Record Cleaning

I've put off buying a record cleaning machine for years now, and doing it by hand is just getting old (So am I for that matter). Seems like everyone has an opinion on which machine is best, but nothing really negative on the Loricraft machines.

I'm looking for a used machine if possible, and if someone has one and is tired of cleaning records period, let me know. If you can point me to a solution or have a reason why I'm completely out in left field, that's helpful as well.

Thanks for the input!
Paul
pkubica
I am in the process of upgrading my analog front-end and based on a dealer's recommendation, I recently purchased a Loricraft 4. The Loricraft replaced an ancient Nitty Gritty machine. I have not auditioned or done a formal comparison against other contenders such as the Keith Monks or Clearaudio.

I have cleaned approximately 40 records and can say without hesitation that in my system, I consider this addition at least equivalent to a major compenent upgrade. I have noticed a singnificant improvement in all of the records cleaned to date. There is significantly decreased noise and significant increase in subtle low level information. Upper frequencies sound crisper without sibilance and there is improvement in the quality and quantity of lower frequency information. Most importantly, I find myself playing less well recorded albums and enjoying the performances and not preferentially choosing audiophile or well-recorded discs. The music is more involving and fun and I find myself listening more intently and unable to multitask when a record is playing.

If you have a large investment in vinyl, I can unequivocally recommend a high quality record cleaning machine as a necessary component on a par with a quality arm or cartridge.
Yioryos: I agree with you completely... the units look really good and I'm sure will do the job. Like you, I have a small collection of records, probably less than 500 titles, but at least half of them are really good and worth the effort. I have mostly all the old Sheffield direct to disc, and MFD's half speed masters. I think cleaned properly they will sound stunning. I ordered the Hannl machine, L’Art du Son cleaning fluid and several hundred new clean sleeves. I'll know more in a week or two.
Paul
A friend, who owns a Loricraft after a few other machines, tried the steaming method on a few records, and now he is buying one steamer ($30). He used another friends steamer who bought it after knowing my results ( thanks to Crem1). The combination of the steamer and RCM seems to be the way to go, although the steamer along in a manual system is a tremendous alternative for those who can't invest in an expensive RCM.
So now opinions on cleaning products and how many processes do you use?

There is a claim from one manufacturer regarding the enzymes that are used in most cleaning products that is, these enzymes have a short “shelf life” so the gallon of fluid you made up last year in not as effective or even useless,
True or false?

I found the joy of steaming using a VPI for the initial cleaning (applying the fluid) then adding steam before the vacuum and then a polish with a micro fiber cloth.
For my cherished vinyl the third step is second cleaning using TTVJ Gold spray and more steam before a final vacuum and a micro fiber polish.

I have also tried the Gruv Glide on some noisy LP’s but I am skeptical about the results I did not hear a discernable difference in the reduction of noise.
This has been covered in various threads with opinions on both sides…. me I gotta go with “Didn’t hurt, but didn’t work” opinion

But the steam I am sold on, that process really did quiet down certain problem LP’s I had.

I do still have massive static problems (Living in Florida) sometimes I lift an LP from the deck and POP! As the charge hits the stylus.
I guess a Zero stat gun would be one way to go unless there are other suggestions.

I was considering replacing felt strips on the VPI pick up tube with some micro fiber cloth any thoughts?
The Hannl Micro arrived, and my 1st impression was WOW! I had seen the Nitty Gritty and the VPI and they look functional, the Hannl looks like a "high end" turntable. It has a gloss black and brushed aluminum finish and you don't have to hide it in the utility room when you are finished cleaning.

The power cable plugs in the bottom and there is a master power switch next to it. The front panel has the on-off switch with built-in led. There are two front panel push-buttons to spin the aluminum platter left or right. Two more push-buttons control the five speeds of the platter, and led's light at the highest and lowest speed. The final two buttons are for the vacuum motor, and it also has five speeds with the highest and lowest marked with led's.

The full size aluminum platter has a rubber mat to hold the record, and comes with a very heavy record clamp with built-in rubber gasket to prevent fluid from getting to the album label. The platter motor has incredible torque... feels like a winch motor. The platter would rub your fingers raw before you could slow it down.

The vacuum pickup is nicely made with soft velvet strips that contact the record. Two additional replacement sets are included. The vacuum pickup sits above the record on soft rubber rings which allow you to gently push it to the record surface and then it springs back by itself. The vacuum pressure can be set at five different levels and of course the noise of the vacuum pump is at five different levels as well. The noise is much less than the VPI machine and you can easily talk to someone standing next to you. I don't think it is so quiet that I could enjoy listening to music while cleaning a record, but I don't play my music really loud.

Additionally, they supply a record cleaning brush, a small squeeze bottle to apply fluid, a large micro-fiber cloth and a bottle of X2000 cleaning solution. Not sure what the X2000 is and I bought a bottle of L-Art du Son.

Cleaning a record is really fun with this machine. Place a record on the rubber platter mat and use the clamp/record protector to hold it down. Apply some fluid, brush a few revs to the left and a few revs to the right to scrub and loosten the dirt. Then vacuum to the left one or two turns, and to the right one or two turns. Voila... a nice clean record.

I cleaned a few clunkers first to test the results and they were better than I imagined. Next was a good one, the Thelma Houston Sheffield recording. I'm not sure what she is doing these days, but for about 15 minutes she was right there performing.

I'm sure I will give some steam cleaning with the RCM a try one of these days, but for now I'm more than pleased with the results of the machine.

Finally... a tip of the hat to Cytocycle who made me aware of the Hannl machine, also Joe at The Cable Company for friendly service, fast shipping and a great price, and the Audiogon list members... without you I'd still have dirty records!